FORUMS: list search recent posts

slog2 = 8-bits in 14 stops?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
toke lahti
slog2 = 8-bits in 14 stops?
on Dec 20, 2014 at 2:30:39 pm
Last Edited By toke lahti on Dec 20, 2014 at 2:31:56 pm

Sorry if this is already discussed here, but I couldn't find anything.

I'm just wondering when comparing to "normal" video DR, does slog2 help so much, that even if you have only half the bits per stop, you don't need them?
I know that log scale puts more of the few bits where they are most needed, but still, isn't there less bits per stop than used to be?

(Edit: of course I'm asking this because I'm thinking of buying a7s...)

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: slog2 = 8-bits in 14 stops?
on Dec 20, 2014 at 5:45:41 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Dec 20, 2014 at 5:46:28 pm

there is no such thing realistically useful as 14 f-stops in 8 bit(that is why the big boys use 10 bit or higher). Sure, you might get some detail, but unless you're shooting raw, in color correction, you're just going to have banding if you try to modify the gamma of the extreme dark/ brights because they get less bits per f stop(up to 800% worse) due to gamma compression. It's just a marketing gimmick. If you want to play with the big boys, you'll need to shoot raw.

Return to posts index

toke lahti
Re: slog2 = 8-bits in 14 stops?
on Dec 20, 2014 at 6:33:47 pm
Last Edited By toke lahti on Dec 20, 2014 at 6:37:01 pm

Raw, would be nice, but I'd be happy ta have anything in 10-bit or even 9-bit log. But seems to be that after all the troubles Sony has been, they are still in "digibeta-mode", that you have to pay a lot for 10-bits, no matter how many decades has it gone and how many hundred times more storage and processing power you get than back then...

I'm just amazed how these still "pros"(engineer?) are preaching so loudly these days:
http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-sony-a7s-review/
:"Banding at 8-bit or the 8-bit vs 10-bit debate

Stupid. Those who think there’s a difference have no clue about what they’re talking about. 8-bit is fine. Camera does not produce banding, If you see banding during grading, you’re not doing it right.

However, you can get posterization with the heavy compression found on Youtube or Vimeo. This is due to the color noise that effects the underexposed regions of the scene, and is a problem with most cameras."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]