FORUMS: list search recent posts

Info about Canon EOS 5D Mark II

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Schroeder
Info about Canon EOS 5D Mark II
on Apr 15, 2010 at 7:02:49 pm

I am completely new to the DSLR game, a producer I'm working with wants us to shoot an entire show with this camera (10 episodes-22 minutes each; read that they used it on House). I just need to know where I can find some information about how do you record audio...what type of memory cards should I get....does the camera have some type of video out.....how do you transfer footage? I looked up on Canon's site and the information was inconclusive. Forgive my ignorance and I thank you for any information that you can give me.

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: Info about Canon EOS 5D Mark II
on Apr 15, 2010 at 7:20:03 pm

Check out my new book called from still to motion (link below). Should help you get up and running

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

James Schroeder
on Apr 15, 2010 at 7:51:50 pm

Love the self promotion!! Will definitely check the book out.....

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:58:29 pm

Also Philip Bloom has many resources for free on his website (if you dig through old blogs) as well as a DVD that explains all the beginner stuff with DSLRs... for the 5DMkii and 7D. (DVDs are for sale)

http://philipbloom.co.uk/

Haven't read Robbie's book yet. :) But someone let me borrow their Bloom 7D DVD... I already knew most of it, but it was a good overview of everything. Bloom approaches it from a video camera perspective... so if you already know Sony/Panasonic/Canon video cameras, that may be easier... Robbie does your book approach from a photog perspective only? Or do you do both?

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Apr 15, 2010 at 9:40:31 pm

Hi James,

I use Kingston pro 133x cards in either 8 or 16gb, there is a limit of 12 minutes per take.

I download the card directly to my computer and back up to an external HD. I then use Cineform Neoscene to transcode the footage to their proprietary codec, which gives a good looking 4.2.2. 10 bit file as a .avi.

Then just use your choice of NLE to edit.

I have a blog with a workflow for a Canon 7D, would be the same for the 5D2.

http://normanpogson.blogspot.com/2010/01/canon-7d-5d-mkll-workflow-for-stoc...

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Neil Abeynayake
on Apr 16, 2010 at 1:15:57 am

Also, if you are PC based; you could use Adobe Premiere CS5 (Trial software at adobe.com and commercially available by mid May 2010). You can drag and drop Canon EOS clips directly into the program without transcoding of any sort.

If you have a quad-core PC with 8 GBs of RAM and a hi-end graphics card you could do real-time editing with CS5.

With this new Premiere CS5, you could also drag and drop native RED camera (.R3D) files directly to the timeline and edit, color grade and playback in real-time without transcoding to ProRes etc.

"Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else".

Confucius

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Apr 16, 2010 at 8:53:40 pm

Premiere Pro CS5 works equally well on a Mac and, yes, it's RT native with footage from the 5D. CS5 will be a game changer!

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:01:36 pm

[Aaron Stewart] "Robbie does your book approach from a photog perspective only? Or do you do both? "

Sorry about the shameless self promotion. I try not to do that, but easier to say here is a 300 page book rather then write a 300 page post!

The book is targeted to the photog making the move to video in the broad sense but is perfectly fit to anyone making the move to use DSLRs to create professional video. In fact this year I (as well as my co-authors) taught quite a few sessions at NAB on DSLR production and most of that audience was video pros and everyone seemed to like the content and approach of the book.

The entire book is a case study (a music video and EPK with a artist called Luke Brindley. We cover the entire experience from preproduction (site surveys etc) lighting (both DIY, natural light, studio light), Camera support and lens choices, audio, transcoding and post production to final delivery.

Again sorry for the promotion but I think you'll for sure get something out of the book.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]