FORUMS: list search recent posts

New project, need lens suggestions

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin Herbst
New project, need lens suggestions
on Dec 11, 2014 at 3:51:22 pm

So I just got a new job for the winter break working on a promo video for the local volunteer fire department. It's going to be mostly interview shots and some b-roll footage from around their station. We're modeling it off of this video:

I'm going to be filming with my Canon 70D and am looking to rent a better quality lens (right now all I have is the Canon EF 18-55 and the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 and I know these aren't super great lenses as far as getting a professional look goes). I'm looking to rent a lens rather than buy for this project because my budget isn't very high.
Any recommendations on a good lens I could rent to get the same look as the interview shots in the example video above? Is it likely that I'll be able to use that same lens to take b-roll footage around the station or do I need to consider renting a different lens for that (and if so what would you recommend?)
I'm just starting out so I really appreciate any feedback :)

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: New project, need lens suggestions
on Dec 11, 2014 at 11:21:08 pm

If you're going to be relatively close to your subjects just rent the canon 50mm 1.4, it's cheap and great quality
Or add the 24-70mm for a bit more reach

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Erin Herbst
on Dec 12, 2014 at 3:18:12 pm

Thanks Steve! My boyfriend just surprised me with a best buy gift card this morning so I'm going to pickup the canon EFS-50 today (and will actually own it now!!)
What are your thoughts on renting the Sigma 18-35 F1.8?
People seem to be crazy about it. In your opinion, is it likely to boost the look of my video significantly that it's worth the $100 rental fee?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Dec 12, 2014 at 3:50:44 pm

Having a nice wide lens is something I often wished I had in my kit so go for it!

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 15, 2014 at 10:07:37 pm

I'll take primes over any zoom any day of the week. They're always much faster and sharper unless you're spending crazy money on the zoom.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Brad Fugere
on Dec 19, 2014 at 3:47:06 pm

Erin,

On your cropped sensor, the best all around lens (and I love it for interviews) is the Canon 35mm 1.4L. And it makes a huge difference! This was the first L series I had ever bought and it became my go to lens for my 60D, which is cropped as well. Depending on your distance to the subject, you can make it a wide shot or moderately tight interview shot (it's not a tight shot by any means, but as far as a tight interview shot, it is just perfect!) The math here is that a 35mm on a 1.6x crop, which is what a 70D is, would actually be 56mm. This is why my opinion is not to rent anything tighter than a 35mm for an interview shot on a cropped frame.

LensProToGo price (4 days) = $66.00 + tax

Brad Fugere
Brad Fugere Media LLC
http://www.centralarkansasvideography.com

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Dec 19, 2014 at 4:15:34 pm

Good call Brad! I have to agree with you, renting a quality L lens is a great way to access lenses for your project that are just out of reach to own (until you do!)

Steve

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]