FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom Lens Question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hanser
Zoom Lens Question
on Dec 1, 2014 at 5:12:49 am

There are plenty of pull-focus devices for DSLR cameras but I don't see anything for zooming in and out with a Canon zoom lens.

I have a Canon 28-135mm Ultrasonic zoom lens for my 5D Mark II. Trying to manually zoom in or out by turning the ring isn't working out well at all - the zoom isn't very smooth. I could, of course, have the lens serviced and lubricated, but I'm thinking some kind of additional hardware is necessary to zoom smoothly while capturing video.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Thanks.

Thomas Hanser
Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Thomas Hanser
Re: Zoom Lens Question
on Dec 2, 2014 at 3:19:51 pm

Apparently, zooming while filming with a Canon zoom lens is not preferable.

I've just learned this:

"Canon zooms aren't true video zooms – they're technically vari-focal lenses, so the focus point can change as you zoom. I guess if your f-stop was right, it wouldn't matter."

Moving on.

Thomas Hanser
Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Brad Fugere
Re: Zoom Lens Question
on Dec 28, 2014 at 8:02:34 pm

Use a follow focus system. Or, don't zoom, it's an outdated look in my personal opinion, unless of course you need to zoom for a reason that is crucial to the video and there's no way around it. A cheap option for a one time fix is using a thick rubber band that will wrap around your zoom ring and the lens, giving you some extra friction that will make the zoom smooth(ish) with some practice.

Brad Fugere
Brad Fugere Media LLC
http://www.centralarkansasvideography.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]