FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D Mark II video experience

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Gilman
Canon 7D Mark II video experience
on Nov 23, 2014 at 6:46:19 pm

I'm starting this thread to share my experience with the 7D2 for video and in the hope that others who have used the camera will share theirs.

I recently upgraded from the 7D to the 7D2. I use the camera for both stills and video and overall so far I'm pleased with the upgrade. Wildlife and sports photographers seem to be thrilled but many DSLR video sites have greeted the camera with distain based on its specs, unhappy that it doesn't shoot 4K, have focus peaking, etc.

I don't share this distain – indeed I'm finding a lot to like on the video side: dual-pixel autofocus, better low-light performance, cleaner noise that is easier to deal with, audio-out for monitoring, better options for HDMI out, no moire, etc. It probably helps that I'm shooting for the web and don't feel the need for the extra overhead that 4K involves.

The biggest downside so far has been that the output, straight from the camera, is a bit soft. Fortunately Alex's unsharp mask plugin does a great job of bringing out the clarity in a graceful way. I'm finding I don't need much: Radius = 2.5; Amount = 1.

If you have the 7D2 and are finding out how to get the best out of it, I'd love to hear your discoveries.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]