FORUMS: list search recent posts

SONY A7s - All of it

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kaileen Fitzpatrick
SONY A7s - All of it
on Nov 21, 2014 at 7:36:12 pm

I thought it would be cool top open up a forum for this little revolutionary, and see what other users have to say.

My experience so far is A: "HOLYSHITE, I LOVE THIS THING!!!",
and B: "WTF?"

A: This camera is amazing. I have finally found the clarity and sharpness i have been looking for, especially in low light situations. I really appreciate al the specs especially in frame rate and 50mb/s.
i love the focus peaking, i love the focus magnifier (which you can use while rolling!!)
Overall response time is pretty tight. video in the viewfiner and the monitor is nice and i find the quality good, the headsup display options are fabulous.

B (Gripes): The ergonomics are a little akward....but whatever. My main gripe is that there are a few bolts missing inside somewhere.
I bought twins, and one of them is one of the best cameras i've ever used (for video)--performs perfectly. the other, right out of the box, was a little skitzo. The focus magnifier was just constantly flippin out. as well the HDMI port didn't work properly involving the firmware (frame rates and output settings). had to return this for replacement, and the new one did the same thing.......
this makes me a little leary of these products--i hope the cameras won't suddenly dies on me one day. salesman i spoke too said he feels like sony is a little out of it these days, even if they make some incredible stuff--doesn't always work right.

beware on some picture profiles if you over expose colors they just turn to plastic. retains no detail or any analog feel at all--just plastic.

i like the s-curves, but haven't really figured out how to harness the power with LUTs yet.

anways, i would appreciate other's feedback and thoughts on these fine machines.

thanks. Kaileen

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: SONY A7s - All of it
on Nov 22, 2014 at 10:25:47 am

It looks a fantastic low-light video cam. How do you find the rolling shutter on movement ...?

Return to posts index

Kaileen Fitzpatrick
on Nov 24, 2014 at 5:16:54 pm

Hey Mike,

The rolling shutter does suck, actually. obviously it's better in APS-C mode (which, by the way, is great that you can click that in at any time if you need it). I haven't done any hard tests, but i would imagine it's better in at 60fps or at higher shutter speeds, but that's cheating.

yeah it's probably not the right tool for action sequences etc. traffic suffers too, so have to keep that in mind.

Kaileen

Return to posts index

Kaileen Fitzpatrick
on Dec 1, 2014 at 7:47:44 pm

the rolling shutter is hardly noticeable in 60fps.

having issues with fine detail, even pixelization at 75 yards with a 70-200mm canon L-series. just not sharp. maybe the UV filter.....maybe the 12megaPixel....

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Dec 4, 2014 at 9:06:10 am

Good that the rolling shutter can be worked round.

With the sharpness issue, is that re stills or are you finding video not sharp. I'm guessing the Canon lens you know is good from mounting on other bodies ... I guess there might be a canon-to-E mount adotper issue ...?

Return to posts index

Kaileen Fitzpatrick
on Dec 5, 2014 at 4:06:16 pm

well that's an interesting idea....at some point maybe i can pick up a sony lens and try a comparison. But the canon lenses are L-series....could be though.....

I kind figured it was the megapixels (12). Stills look beautiful (love that full frame) but i feel they are lacking the finer details, especially in the darker tones. I think it's just the nature of the camera, which is an awesome tool for some things. an 18+ megapix camera is going to take better stills, i think.

Return to posts index

Kaileen Fitzpatrick
on Dec 23, 2014 at 8:55:27 pm

Is anyone aware of another camera (DSLR or video/camcorder) that utilizes the same image sensor as the Sony A7s?

Return to posts index

Kaileen Fitzpatrick
on Dec 30, 2014 at 11:42:32 pm
Last Edited By Kaileen Fitzpatrick on Dec 30, 2014 at 11:43:49 pm

Okay, so i would like to make an update to my first post, after more experience with this camera.

1 still really pleased with images!!!! going above 100,000 ISO gets kinda nasty, but even the grain looks pretty nice considering. 30 and 60 thousand are more tolerable and the noise is mellow and cool.

2, if you use the "extra fine" setting for stills, it does actually shoot very nice stills. Here is a comparrison with a Canon 5Diii, upscaled to 300%

3, focus assist punching in and out (mentioned above) was my fault. To some this might be a handy setting, for me and my bros it's hella anoying. "Focus Assist" in camera settings

4, likewise, i think i nailed the problems with the HDMI output. You have to set both the rec settings (internl rec) and the output settings similarly. There is some overlap with interlaced output/recieving, but.....

I still want to do some hard tests with the in camera image stabilization. The one's i've done so far are not satisfying. Tamron VC feels like jello out on the fringes while somewhat stable in the middle, and camera IS isn't much better. frankly i like the hard footage better. but more tests to come.

Anyone else having a great time? :)

Peace,
Kaileen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]