FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommend me a tripod and follow focus, please?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Eastman
Recommend me a tripod and follow focus, please?
on Nov 16, 2014 at 2:23:41 am

I have been struggling to rack focus by hand. Needless to say, my results have been slightly shaky.

I use a Nikon d7100.

I don't have a budget per se, but I'm not looking to buy the most expensive gear out there (unless I get a sugar mama anytime soon).

Please recommend me a reliable follow focus set up, and I'm also looking to get a good tripod set-up (something in the $250-300 range).

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Sincerely,

Brandon Eastman

Return to posts index

Brian Robinson
Re: Recommend me a tripod and follow focus, please?
on Nov 16, 2014 at 1:39:28 pm

Hello,

There are a fair number of Tripods within your budget range, the best one I can recommend for your Nikon D7100 is from Manfrotto.

The tripod I am talking about is Manfrotto 190CXPRO4. It is a three legged (tripod duh :P ) and light in weight because it has Carbon Fiber frame.

Both of the above factors will help increase stability.

The weight if you are wondering is around 4 pounds and the size is fairly small.

The price is around $232 if you remove the gear pack. Which is slightly lower than your budget. ;)

You can check it out on Amazon here : Manfrotto 190CXPRO4

Hope it helps. :)

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
Re: Recommend me a tripod and follow focus, please?
on Nov 17, 2014 at 8:21:46 am
Last Edited By Rob Manning on Nov 17, 2014 at 8:24:46 am

Hi Brandon,

Follow focus: http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/product/landing/follow-focus

Tripod, there are numerous affordable video tripods with fluid drive heads out there.

Sure (Manfrotto etc.) are good, but then you need the head and the advantage of video tripods, even those in the one to two hundred dollar range is they usually have a stabilizing triangular brace between the legs, that (depends on the build) can support a shot bag in the wind etc. The more expensive Manfrotto does have this set up but costs north of $800 US.

Some do not extend past 60", so check the height specs but, for first time out, the difference in cost is worth it, bang for the buck.

I say this owning two Manfrotto fiber tripods, one Manfrotto fluid head, a BH55 rig from Really Right stuff but for most shooting (pan and tilt) I use a generic video tripod as described.

HTHs

Rob Manning

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]