FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thinking of upgrading to GH4 for video work.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jody McAlavey
Thinking of upgrading to GH4 for video work.
on Nov 15, 2014 at 9:34:45 pm

Earlier in the year I purchased a Canon 70d for photo and video. Although I am not a professional cameraman, I am a professional video editor and would like a camera I can use for projects. Although I have been happy with the quality of the photos of the 70d I have been disappointed by the video quality as the image is pretty soft. Therefore, I have been considering purchasing a Panasonic GH4 for video work and keeping the Canon for photos. I would appreciate people's view on the GH4 in general, as well as answers and comments to the following points:

1. I currently own the canon efs 18-135mm and 50mm 1.4 lenses. It seems to make sense to get a lens adaptor so that I can use the 50mm and any new glass with both cameras. It seems like getting the metabones speed booster ef to mft would do the trick plus the extra benefits of reducing the crop factor of the mft sensor and add an extra stop to any attached lens? It seems that I would have control of aperture but not usable autofocus (which isn't a big issue if I'm just using for video? Can anyone recommend a UK vendor for the speed booster?

2. I would have about £1k to invest in glass at the same time as getting the camera. Taking the crop into account it seems to make sense to get quite wide lenses? I am considering the tokina 11-16mm 2.8 and sigma 18-35mm 1.8 to use with the speed booster, as these along with the 50mm would give a fairly decent focal range for video work. The down sides I can see would be no image stabilization on any of these lenses and the tokina and sigma wouldn't be well suited if I ever wanted to upgrade to a full frame, although saying that I can't imagine me wanting to for at least 3 years. Would people suggest any other lens combo considering the budget and would you see lack of IS on all lenses being an issue?

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]