FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D .MOV Problems

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Cornell
Canon 7D .MOV Problems
on Oct 28, 2014 at 11:11:21 pm

Hi,

I filmed a wedding over the weekend with a 60D and a 7D. When dumping footage from both cameras, I always drag both folders onto my drives before I back them all up and then prepare to transcode all the files.

All of my 60D footage is fine, but I've run into numerous problems with the 7D footage. There were 2 cards worth that I dumped and both folders have been causing havoc on my hard drive. For starters, my external hard drive (a Lacie Rugged 1TB) has become very unresponsive when ONLY working in the 7D folders. When I click to DCIM--100EOS7D some of the thumbnails pop up and some don't.....but a bunch of files just show the QT logo and whenever I click on it it just constantly loads. It shows data like time created, modified, size of the file, but I cannot open it nor play it for the life of me.

When trying to use Log & Transfer in FCP7, I didn't have any luck and whenever I try to use MPEG Streamclip or Compressor, both programs either froze or crashed when working with the files. I can barely even get to the folders without waiting a minute or so.

So, I would really appreciate some help. I fear that the files are corrupt or something, but I hope there is a way to get to the bottom of this.

Many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Canon 7D .MOV Problems
on Oct 29, 2014 at 2:43:38 am
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Oct 29, 2014 at 2:54:58 am

It certainly does sound to me like the 7D files are corrupt. People on this forum have reported some success and some failures using file recovery software.

Of course, why this happened is the more important issue. I've heard of problems like this when camera operators run the camera until it reaches the file size limit/duration limit meaning the file never closes properly and you end up with corrupt data. That's just one possibility. I'm not saying for certain that's what's going on here but certainly the way these files are acting is not normal at all.

Are the cards used in the 7D at least 6X speed?

At this point there's not a lot of options for you. If the files are indeed corrupted, your only way forward is to try some recovery softwares to see which ones might work for you. Sorry I don't have any product names to offer but you could try searching through this forum with the keyword corrupt.

Steve Crow

PS: There's an interesting thread about corrupt 7D movie files using SanDisk cards specifically. Apparently this issue was addressed by Canon in a firmware update around 2012/13 so I'd research what version firmware your 7D has. Definitely do the search on this forum I suggested for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]