FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lenses for the Sony A7S

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arvid Utas
Lenses for the Sony A7S
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:58:44 pm

Hi,
Any suggestions for a wide to normal (or short telephoto) lens for the new full frame E mount cameras?

I was looking at the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD but it turns out that it doesn't have Image Stabilisation on the E mount versions (because some E mount cameras has that built into the body, not the A7 ones though...frustrating).

The other alternative was Sony's Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS which does have stabilisation but I'm not keen on the motorised focus ring which also doesn't allow for repeating focus pulls.

Canon EF 24-70mm f/4.0L IS USM with a Metabones adapter?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Lenses for the Sony A7S
on Oct 22, 2014 at 12:17:10 pm

Hi Arvid - You might be able to save yourself a little money by sticking with Sony lenses - for a few dollars more than a $399 Canon to NEX Speed Booster, you can get the $498 Sony 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 FE OSS kit lens.

Here is what this lens can do on the A7s:

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Arvid Utas
on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:45:49 pm

Hi Bill,
thanks for your reply. I don't know about the kit lens, in that case I might just as well get the Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS i mentioned above (a bit more expensive but f4 throughout and Zeiss) but they both have that dreadful motorised focus... Hmm maybe I'm being to demanding...?

Cheers,
Arvid

Return to posts index

Kaileen Fitzpatrick
on Nov 21, 2014 at 7:19:34 pm

I've been using the metabones adapter to EF and put my canon lenses on there. I have been shooting on this for about 2 months now.

i've gained confidence in this setup. At first the adapter plus the lens seemed heavy--too much for the camera to handle (Tamron especially). But i've been flinging this stuff around quite a bit, and i feel better about it.

one troublesome issue is that sometimes the camera won't give me control of the iris through the metabone, but i found manually resetting the adapter or the lens itself does the trick.

I made this choice because i was not impressed with the E-mount lenses at this time. I would recommend doing the same.

Kaileen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]