FORUMS: list search recent posts

Atomos Ninja Star for D7100

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Lee
Atomos Ninja Star for D7100
on Oct 19, 2014 at 4:27:03 pm

I am doing some stuff that (mostly B roll type stuff) that needs grading. After Nikon's boss saying that he does not expect to put "Pro Codec" in their cameras, I'm thinking that the Star might be a good option.

I've been using a D7000 with the NikonHacker 64 mbt codec and I can definitely see an improvement in grading over the standard. So I'm thinking that a star would greatly improve my ability to grade my D7100 files. Is it worth the $600 for the Star, batteries and cards or am I spitting into the wind?

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
Re: Atomos Ninja Star for D7100
on Oct 23, 2014 at 7:58:49 pm

Hi,

The D7100 has am HDMI out correct?

That will output 4.2.2 as I recall which seems to be as good as it will get and technically, comes in as a pro codec so I'm not sure I understand the "Nikon's boss" comment, nor have I been able to source it during a cursory search. If you have a link, I'm interested.

Using the Star is fine when running iJOBS Pro Res but does not include AVID's DNxHD or CineForm (Now GoPro) codec schemes.

http://www.fallenempiredigital.com/blog/2013/02/28/avid-dnxhd-vs-apple-pror...

I discussed shooting direct to SSD using my D-800 with the DP on a documentary we are about to do and he said just to use the on camera h.264, because he would up-res it in post anyway.

Cuts both ways then, or so it would seem.

Have fun!

Rob Manning

Return to posts index

Jeff Lee
on Oct 23, 2014 at 8:29:55 pm

Sorry Rod, been doing so much research I can't remember. But it was from a translation, and mostly like Nikonrumors or DPR.

Thanks for the information, and yes the D7100 has uncompressed (clean no info stuff), and I think its 422 but I can't confirm that any where.

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Oct 23, 2014 at 9:10:49 pm

Hi Jeff,

That is 4.2.2 @ 8 bit.

OK on the link, not that important really.

The D810 so far, and the D750 even more so seem to have the current lead for h.264 based formatting.

Near the end, their Canon guy, has to 'like' the D750.
Rob Manning

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]