FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 600d video recording. PLEASE!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Catarina Bessa
Canon 600d video recording. PLEASE!
on Oct 16, 2014 at 11:27:12 pm

Hi guys.

I'm with with problems with my canon 600d video recording and i really need to get this straight.
So, I have a SD Card of 16 GB, 45MB/s, and the video stops at 12 minutes. The error says "Recording Automatically Stopped" or so. I'm recording in HD mode, 1920x720. Does anyone knows how to solve this? I have to record tomorrow for work and I need the camera to record everything in one clip.

Please Help.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Canon 600d video recording. PLEASE!
on Oct 17, 2014 at 1:45:48 am

Bottom line, you can't easily get around the 12 minute limitation in that camera - that's a limitation built into the camera for tax purposes believe it or not. If I am recording an interview, it usually doesn't matter because all I have to do is stop the recording between questions and then start a new clip, takes just a few seconds.

BUT if you are filming something for which you can't have breaks, like a long speech, then a DSLR isn't a great choice. You can film with two and just make sure you the cameras have some overlap so that when one is being reset to start a new clip, the second one is still going. The better option is, of course, to film with a traditional style video camera if the project requires it.

Steve

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 17, 2014 at 10:57:36 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Oct 17, 2014 at 1:03:46 pm

gh2 dslr has unlimited recording time.

also the tragic lantern hack for the 600d allows it.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1232870

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Oct 21, 2014 at 7:39:15 pm

Hi Catarina - sadly, the 12 minute limit on the 600D is not a tax limit, it is a 4GB limit in the EXFAT32 file structure of your SD card. Canon chose not to bridge these 4GB files to create continuous video recording capability. This is a trivial thing to do (they do it in their camcorders), but they chose not to do it in the T2i/550D, the T3i/600D, the 60D or the 7D.

in later cameras, they allowed file bridging, but they capped it at 30 minutes in the EU due to the tax limitation. Out of laziness they have applied this same limit to their cameras in the rest of the world.

Panasonic has taken a different approach. All of their still/hybrid GH cameras since the GH1 have bridged 4GB EXFAT32 files (just like their camcorders), so you can record for hours continuously (I have all four of these cameras, the GH1, GH2, GH3 and GH4 and I know this to be a fact).

European versions of these cameras are limited to 30 minutes because of the EU tax limit - but Panasonic cares enough about its customers to remove this limit from cameras sold in the rest of the world.

The Magic Lantern "fix" will restart the camera every 30 minutes, but you will still lose a second or two between clips. Not good for music performances, theatrical performances or critical parts of speeches or lectures.

Bottom line - this is an inherent limitation of your camera - and part of the reason I sold my T2i and switched to Panasonic.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Catarina Bessa
on Oct 21, 2014 at 10:52:06 pm

Thanks. :) I'm not happy about the news but i'm happy about the alternatives :) Thank you all guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]