FORUMS: list search recent posts

h.264 Canon 7D transcode for PC

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy McWilson
h.264 Canon 7D transcode for PC
on Dec 21, 2009 at 3:26:31 am

I am PC user and the proud new owner of a Canon 7D. I know that on the Mac side most convert their h.264 to ProRes for editing.

Does anyone have a similar recommendation on the PC for a frame-accurate transcode stream that preserves max quality? I use Adobe Premiere Pro primarily for post (CS3) and After Effects.

thanks

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: h.264 Canon 7D transcode for PC
on Dec 23, 2009 at 2:09:05 am

MPEG Stream Clip or Cineform Neo

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 23, 2009 at 2:41:52 pm

Robbie's advice is for editing in Premiere only. That will not work for After Effects.
From Dave LaRonde:
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

So edit in Premiere than output it as a type of file that does not use Interframe compression. It's been discussed fairly often on the AE forum and people have suggested a few different things, such as Quicktime using the PNG codec.
So, when it comes to using your HD footage in AE and you've got questions, chances are someone else has asked it. So come on over to the AE forums and search on there.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Randy McWilson
on Dec 24, 2009 at 5:52:25 am

I have tried nearly all codecs from within premiere pro and have been unsatisfied with the results when compared with the original footage (with the exception of uncompressed AVI which is untenable)

I still to try QT with PNG. Thanks for the tip on that one.

Eternity...don't miss it for the world.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]