FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH4 noise! Noise at 200ISO, noise in plenty of light. Simply: noise. (footage example)

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Tanner
GH4 noise! Noise at 200ISO, noise in plenty of light. Simply: noise. (footage example)
on Oct 6, 2014 at 5:26:41 pm

I'll be the first to say I am learning. I am not a shooter. I am a VFX guy.

I picked up a T2i a few months ago , went out and shot my *ss off and loved it. Never had any issues with noise or such.

I got my GH4 + Mbones Speedbooster-Nikon adapter and a nice Nikkor lens + Tokina so I am shooting roughly S35 size...etc.

It's noisy. It's noisy in the blacks in a nicely lit daylight room.

I have read through many, many,many threads regarding settings (millers)....comparisons, profiles and such. I have seen low light tests (MkIII kills the GH4 in Blooms...)....I have seen AMAZING noise free footage shot "out of the box" indoors! I have seen exteriors at night with noise....to be expected.

Ive shot wide open at 200ISO and gotten noise.

I've shot at 2-3 and upped the ISO to 1600 exposing to the right of zero and gotten noise.

So far, indoors...in any settings I get noise.

I have not taken it outside YET.

Indoors, mid-day on a nice sunny day with plenty of natural light I absolutely cannot get an image I even find acceptable. And nothing close to an image that makes me say "wow".

I have posted a .MOV right from the camera...this was ISO 800 I believe, shot wide open on the Tokina 11-16. Natural light. Shutter speed at 50. Exposed at around 0 - +1

http://www.dobrowdesign.com/gh4test1

Any thoughts guys?

I don't want to "fight" my camera. I really love the idea of 4K, however I want a good picture with a nice DR and lower noise threshold first. Perhaps I bought the wrong camera? Perhaps I'ts me?

The FS100 is looking appealing.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: GH4 noise! Noise at 200ISO, noise in plenty of light. Simply: noise. (footage example)
on Oct 9, 2014 at 8:36:36 pm

It really depends on your settings and James Millers is not a good one.

Reset the camera back to factory and try it with no adjustments to the profiles and see if you still get that much noise.

Also see this..

http://bkmeditor.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/panasonic-gh4-iso-noise-tests/

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Jim Tanner
Re: GH4 noise! Noise at 200ISO, noise in plenty of light. Simply: noise. (footage example)
on Oct 10, 2014 at 10:33:04 am

Thanks for that.
I had seen that posting prior as well as gone through hours and hours of web research.
I ultimately got my GH4 issues sorted however honestly decided the camera simply did not have quite the low light capabilities nor image I was looking for.

Don't get me wrong in that it's an awesome camera, I, subjectively and personally felt the image had a harshness to it and I wanted better low light perf.

I ended up sending it back and going with a C100 outputting to a Ninja Blade for better codec performance. I am very pleased with this setup.
I miss the 4K & slomo! But I must put (in my opinion) picture first.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Oct 10, 2014 at 2:56:46 pm

Hard to compare $1700 to $5000 for features and performance.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]