FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slider for Canon 5D Mk 3?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
Slider for Canon 5D Mk 3?
on Sep 16, 2014 at 4:33:59 pm

Can anyone recommend a good slider that you can mount on your tripod for a Canon 5D Mk 3? For my tripod I have a Vinten Vision Blue Pan/Tilt Head with Manfrotto 536 carbon fiber legs. A B&H rep recommended the following slider and ball head:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1061286-REG/syrp_syrp_magic_carpet_en...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887573-REG/oben_ba_117_single_lever_b...
Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Thanks, Neil

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Slider for Canon 5D Mk 3?
on Sep 17, 2014 at 12:29:18 am

Never heard of the slider so I can't comment - it's certainly cheaply priced. One thing on the ball head, as a photography type head it's okay if you never want to pan or tilt WHILE sliding (which is often the case for sure) but for maximum flexibility I'd look instead for a traditional video tripod head with a flat bottom.

I have pretty much the same head you linked to and it's pretty much useless for my Konova slider - I just don't like it.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Sep 17, 2014 at 10:52:19 am

Thanks Steve for the helpful feedback related to my slider question, much appreciated. I'm particularly interested in getting a slider that works with my own tripod head, which is the Vinten Vision Blue head, so I don't have to take my camera off my tripod head and put it on another, or even buy a separate head at all. Is that possible? Just let me know if you or anyone has any recommendations on that, or happen to work with this same head and face a similar situation.

Return to posts index

Daron C. Davis
on Sep 18, 2014 at 8:33:58 pm

Check out the Rhino Slider. I've also heard good things about the iFootage S1 Shark Slider.

Return to posts index

Ben Youngerman
on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:06:29 pm

I would steer you away from the Syrp, because often that model and similar models don't provide a very fluid sliding motion. The slider can very easily get caught along the rails and cause hiccups in your motion. It is very difficult to get an even and smooth pace. You need to frequently use silicone spray to keep the slider fluid, which obviously is not ideal for reliable use of the slider. I would look into models that have a gears or a track for controlled movement.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]