FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help. Not sure where to post

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Eastman
Need help. Not sure where to post
on Sep 13, 2014 at 10:15:19 pm

Hi, Everyone

First time user on this site, so I didn't know whether to post here, DVD Authoring, or DSLR Video forum...

My situation: I have two types of footage I need to edit for a wedding DVD that is due to my friend on her birthday, the 27th of September. The footage is from a Nikon D7100 and footage from a Sanyo Xacti fh1a.

The D7100 footage: .mov h264 1080p 29.97 FPS
The Xacti footage: mp4 h264 1080 60fields/sec

I'm editing using Final Cut Express 4 on my MacBook 4.1 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM; Snow Leopard 10.6.8

The Mp4 file plays back choppy on my laptop, even after five hours of rendering the footage in FCE4 on my timeline.

I was told I need to get the mp4 footage transcoded into .mov h264 to match my D7100 footage. How do I do this?
I have access to Media Encoder at school on their iMacs. I just need to know what settings to do. My trial run today with Media Encoder was a bust; wasted three hours at the computer lab.

I need to get this mp4 footage into a workable format that my laptop at home can handle, because right now these render times are killing me, and I'm half finished with my project and only two weeks to finish.

Once I have finished my FCE4 edit at 1920x1080, I need to know how to export from FCE4 so I have a file of worthy quality so that I take it into media Encoder at school and burn a DVD for the bride.. Suggestions for the best results?

Thank you for your time and reading my post. I really appreciate the help from you seasoned vets.

Regards,
B Eastman

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Need ----. Not sure where to post
on Sep 15, 2014 at 1:20:12 am

I transcode using MPEG Streamclip (free). Probably use MP4 (Quicktime) and h.264 for encoding. Keep quality up as much as possible all the way through. HD can take forever on your machine depending on how much footage there is. You should also consider using the Apple Intermediate Codec at 90% quality or so (dunno if FCE4 will take ProRes422, it's been a while) for editing instead of MP4/h.264. Use MP4/h.264 for the final version to DVD/BlueRay/YouTube.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Need ----. Not sure where to post
on Sep 15, 2014 at 2:37:32 am

Yes, H.264 CAN be difficult to edit with as it is really more of a codec used to distribute the final video although many cameras also capture video using this same codec, convenient if you never want to edit OR your editing system, like FCP X, let's you edit with it easily.

Prior to shifting to FCP X I always first transcoded my camera's video to ProRes using the free MPEG Streamclip mentioned by Jonathan. I don't think Express handles H264 well as it's based on older technology.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]