FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dslr Focus when filming... Question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Voinescu Paul-Octavian
Dslr Focus when filming... Question
on Aug 18, 2014 at 10:27:55 am

Hello. I just bought myself a Canon 70D with a Sigma 18-35 1.8 . I have a question regarding focus while filming. Sometimes during filming the focus shifts a little from one subject to another, especially when filming with 1.8. I like this effect very much, especially when filming details to insert in the best moments video. I want to know your oppinion on this. Do you like it, do you not like it? Why? What don't you like about this? Why wouldn't you like to see it in a wedding video?

Thank you and hope to hear soon from anyone with some experience.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Dslr Focus when filming... Question
on Aug 18, 2014 at 5:37:23 pm

It's a style and I don't mind it if it's not overdone. Taken to the extreme, it can look like to the viewer that the shooter is inexperienced and having a lot of trouble finding focus and so is hunting around for it - that can be distracting particularly if it goes from out of focus, to in focus and then out again. However, when a shot goes from out of focus (say a close up of a wedding ring) and then goes into focus that can be a nice effect in my opinion. Just be careful not to overdo. To that end I usually don't shoot with the lens set to auto focus or if I do, then I focus before hitting the record button

There's an old joke: one out of focus shot is a mistake, five out of focus shots is a style! :-)

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Dslr Focus when filming... Question
on Aug 19, 2014 at 2:10:25 pm

I personally find it annoying. I disable all auto features when shooting. Focus hunting also seems like I don't know what I'm shooting: subject a or b... I can't decide. Good for particular effects, but not a "use all the time" thing.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]