FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edelkrone Style DIY Motion Time Lapse Slider with Rotating Camera Axis on V-Slot Rails

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Cox
Edelkrone Style DIY Motion Time Lapse Slider with Rotating Camera Axis on V-Slot Rails
on Aug 11, 2014 at 10:04:57 am

As soon as I saw the OpenBuilds V-Slot system for the first time I thought 'Camera Slider' and a few minutes later I could see that not only was it pretty much ideal for motion capture rigs, but I would also be able to create a DIY slider that adopted Edelkrone's approach whereby the rails slide on the tripod mount at the same time as the camera carriage slides on the rails.

I haven't used it extensively yet, so I can't testify to long term durability, but I've used it for both time lapse and video, for each of which it seems to perform pretty well. This DIY camera slider offers 778mm of camera movement from a unit that is 665mm long and weighs 2.4kg including the motor. Nowhere near as good as Edelkrone's SliderPlus, but this is my first slider project, and I can already see where I can make improvements. To achieve 778mm of travel using a conventional slider would probably require a slider of around 980mm in length.

To add a little more interest to my shots I've also included a rotating camera axis also made from OpenBuilds V-Slot rails. Only a bench drill, chop saw and basic hand tools are necessary to build something like this. I've posted some photos here.

My first efforts at time lapse below, so plenty of scope for improvement!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Edelkrone Style DIY Motion Time Lapse Slider with Rotating Camera Axis on V-Slot Rails
on Aug 11, 2014 at 5:23:16 pm

Wow, Andy! Great work on the slider and on the time-lapses. You've got some great scenery to work with there in the UK.

Your slider is like an Edelkrone/Kessler Parallax hybrid. Very impressive!

I just recently received an Edelkrone SliderPlus and now I'm waiting for the Action and Target modules to arrive.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Andy Cox
Re: Edelkrone Style DIY Motion Time Lapse Slider with Rotating Camera Axis on V-Slot Rails
on Aug 11, 2014 at 5:39:03 pm

When I originally looked at the SliderPlus they didn't have the time lapse unit, hence why I went down the OpenBuilds route. I ordered the V-slot, got side tracked and did nothing with it for a few weeks, then when I finally started work on the slider project, Edelkrone announced the time lapse unit just a few days later!

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it once you've tested it out.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Aug 11, 2014 at 9:08:13 pm

One thing the Edelkrone setup won't do, is a vertical slide. The motor isn't strong enough. Judging by your time-lapse samples, it looks like your slider will do vertical just fine.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Andy Cox
on Aug 12, 2014 at 8:29:53 am

That's interesting - I didn't realise the SliderPlus wouldn't lift vertically. The drawback with this design of slider is that the motor isn't just lifting the camera, head and carriage, but also the entire weight of the rails and the motor itself, so it does require a fairly hefty motor. I'm using a DigiSlider slow motor which seems well suited to the job.

To be fair, the shots here were taken with the camera in descent. Although it can lift the camera, I think this may result in inconsistent movement steps. The weak point in my setup is probably my choice of belt; a 6mm Synchroflex. Plenty strong enough, but the teeth are a little on the small side, and the belt jumps if not correctly tensioned. I wish I'd used the 10mm belt and pulleys I have. My heaviest camera lifted with this slider is a D600 (hence the sensor spots - currently back at Nikon) with the 24-85 kit lens.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Aug 19, 2014 at 7:29:17 pm

[Andy Cox] "I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it once you've tested it out."

The 4 week lead time on the Action and Target modules have turned into a 6 week lead time... so, I'm still waiting.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

zhiting xu
on Aug 14, 2014 at 3:38:46 pm

That's really cool!Well done!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]