FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nikon D7100 video choppy.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javier Lopez
Nikon D7100 video choppy.
on Jul 30, 2014 at 10:15:09 pm

Hello gentleman,

I just recorded a video with my D7100, but after trying all the movie settings and recommended shutter, iso and aperture settings for 24p, 30p and 60i the video is very choppy, stutters. The iso settings I use is 100 or 200 the most, for 24p the shutter speed I use is 1/50, for 30p 1/60 and for 60i 120. Any advise please?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Nikon D7100 video choppy.
on Jul 30, 2014 at 10:47:58 pm

Well the first thing I would try is converting the video file from its native H.264 compression format to ProRes if you are on Mac or something like DNxHD if you are a PC user.

Even fairly powerful laptops can play back H.264 with quite a lot of jitter but if you transcode the file, I find, it will play back much smoother. I'd try that first to see if it helps.

If not, then it is something else, perhaps the computer itself is not powerful enough in which case you might want to switch to filming 720 versus 1080 and/or lowering the bitrate of the file so it's not as huge.

By the way, transcoding to ProRes typically makes my Canon files 3x times the file size but they still play back much smoother and are much easier to edit than keeping them H.264. This has to do with the particulars of how the H.264 compression works, long "GOPS" and other jibberish.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Javier Lopez
on Jul 30, 2014 at 11:00:11 pm

Hello Steve,

First I greatly appreciate your time, I did use the Avid DNxHD codec, I use a MacPro 8 core 3.0 with 20GB of ram to edit with Media Composer, the video on the camera and the computer looks the same, I have not tried lowering the nitrate and the ProRes codec, I am new to DSLR shooting, I had used the recommended camera settings but I will tray other codecs with lower nitrates to see if there is a playback improvement.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 30, 2014 at 11:07:48 pm

Well Javier your computer setup is more than adequate :-)

I just did a quick scan of the Google and it turned up quite a few complaints with the Nikon D7100 series and jittery video. I haven't read of a solution.

I do find it interesting that in your case it is jittery while still in camera, that's usually not what I've heard people complaining about. So that tends to get me thinking about camera settings but your shutter speed settings are correct so....?

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 31, 2014 at 12:33:36 am

Oh, are you using storage cards that are rated fast enough to handle 1080p video? I use Transcend cards that are Class 6 but I know many people are only happy with the faster Class 10 cards. I use a Canon but you might research what cards are recommended for your Nikon.

Some people have improved their camera's video performance by switching to another brand of card even if the speed is the same. You might research that because a card that can't keep up in camera with the streams of video being sent it would drop frames and cause a jittery look.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Javier Lopez
on Jul 31, 2014 at 1:28:59 am

Hey Steve,

I am using a transcend class 10 card, also, I had transcoded the DSLR H264 video to ProRes HD 422 and DNxHD, with the ProRes the playback greatly improved but with some detail loss and some jittery present on the video, with the DNxHD codec in Media Composer plays back just fine but with bit of jittery. At this point I think the settings the I use with the camera, the lens or camera itself has an issue, is a brand new lens and camera.
THe settings that I use are: ISO 100 to 200 the most, Aperture based on the frame rate i.e. 24p 1/50 because on the Nikon I can't set it to 1/48, 30p 1/60 and so on.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Jul 31, 2014 at 7:17:12 am
Last Edited By Rob Manning on Jul 31, 2014 at 7:18:16 am

HI Javier,

8 Core means slightly older MAC correct? (I'm not a MAC user)

If so, and forgive if this sounds pedestrian but are you running the files from the OS drive?

If so, use another drive for playback, see if that helps BUT, as you note, there is an issue with the footage on the camera, so it might be something Nikon should address, either through a dealer (did you buy it brick and mortar?) or the supplier (B & H etc.)

You could also check in with the NIkonians.org forum, under D7100 and ask the question there though there is a separate forum for DSLR Video on the site as well.

Perplexing indeed.

We have four Nikons, not the 7100 but have no issues in this regard.

The latest file for firmware is here, although the issue you are having is not mentioned in the details: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18539/session/L2F2LzEv...

Good luck,

Rob Manning

Return to posts index

Javier Lopez
on Jul 31, 2014 at 1:25:31 pm

Good morning Rob,

Yes, my Mac Pro is a 2008 model, but still hold plenty of power I had playback also 4k smooth, I had purchased the Nikon D7100 from E-bay 2 months a go, is a brand new unit, can you please post the settings that you use on your other Nikon cameras to shoot video in manual mode?, including additional settings that will help to improve video quality.

Thanks for your time and help,

Javier.

Return to posts index

David Rehm
on Aug 1, 2014 at 12:07:50 am
Last Edited By David Rehm on Aug 1, 2014 at 12:10:55 am

Does the footage play back fine in camera?

Are you using Class 10 cards?
Have you tried a different card in case the first card is corrupt?

David

Also - I have the D7000 and have used nothing but PNY cards - never a problem - even with the basic 20 MB cards. ad they're nicely priced too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=pny+32gb&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nav_search_go?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keyw...

Return to posts index

Javier Lopez
on Aug 1, 2014 at 1:04:00 am

Hello David,

I am using a Transcend class 10 card with the Nikon D7100, the footage looks the same on the camera, but the pictures are just fantastic, I had used many recommended video settings at different frame rates, ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture settings, only 60i looks better but there is some jittering left.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Aug 2, 2014 at 9:41:23 am
Last Edited By Ann Bens on Aug 2, 2014 at 9:43:54 am

Try formatting the card in the camera and then make some test shots.
See how that will work.

I have a 2009 imac and my 7100 files run just perfectly.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Javier Lopez
on Aug 2, 2014 at 4:55:20 pm

Hello Ann,

I had formatted the card but still the same issue with the video, thanks for your advise.

Return to posts index

Jeff Lee
on Aug 19, 2014 at 3:38:23 pm

You might want to try using a 95mb card. The D7100 needs a faster card to perform up to spec. If you know someone with a Ninja, try it on your camera to see if the camera is functioning properly. You might have an issue with your camera, under warranty?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]