FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 70D video settings (My footage is grainy)

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anna holck
Canon 70D video settings (My footage is grainy)
on Jul 28, 2014 at 1:58:43 pm

Hello my name is Anna. I have a problem i really hope you could help me fix. I have a canon 70D with a 18-55mm lens which i use to shoot music videos with, but the quality isnt as good as i had hoped and i have watched alot of videoes on youtube for the older camera canon 60d and also this one that are amazing, but mine is grainy in the picture even though my ISO is on 200 and is a bright day (Would be soo much worse if it was darker) So here is my settings.
For a scene on a bright day inside and outside shooting: iso 100 or 200. Shutterspeed 1/60. aperture 3. FPS 24. Format RAW. And it still comes out grainy. Do you know what i can do to improve this? Maybe it is not even these settings i should worry about? Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Canon 70D video settings (My footage is grainy)
on Jul 28, 2014 at 4:57:43 pm

Yeah, your footage shouldn't be grainy. Your settings seem basically fine although I would suggest setting your shutter speed to 1/50 instead 1/60 but even that wouldn't produce grain.

Grain is usually associated with underexposed images but it doesn't sound like that is your issue either.

Maybe you can post a few screen grabs of exactly what you are talking about - so that we can see the grain.

My first thought is that MAYBE it's not the camera footage but rather something going on with your computer - like bad video compression or something like that.

The footage you say is grainy - how are you looking at the footage? Are you just dragging the H.264 video file off of your card and onto your computer and playing that? Are you transcoding it into another format first and then playing it? Are you editing the footage somehow and THEN is when you are seeing the grain?

Are you on a Mac or a PC? Are you viewing the footage through Quicktime or a windows media player of some sort? What editing system?

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

anna holck
on Jul 28, 2014 at 10:57:57 pm

I just dragging it from my card to pc, but i can see the grain on the camera while filming (Of course not as much as on pc) Yea i'm using Pc. I view it in media player. :)

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:22:32 pm

Ok, can you post a screen shot Anna?

Not sure what is going on...as I said, the settings you shared should not be the issue

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Chris Neal
on Jul 30, 2014 at 3:11:51 pm

Anna,

I use Neatvideo to clean up any grain on my t3i. Also - to avoid grain try shooting multiples of 160iso. So 160, 320, 640. For some reason this helps with the grain. Your shutter speed should be double your FPS - so set it at 1/50 instead.

Have you tried using another lense?

http://chrisneal.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]