FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode frame rate

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael King
Timecode frame rate
on Apr 13, 2010 at 6:48:53 am

I'm using a 5D mkII with a Sound Devices 702t audio recorder. I shot a few things before the firmware update at 30fps on the 5D and set the 702 at the same rate, everything was at 30, worked great, wonderful. I've shot a few MOS things with the 5D at the new firmware 24fps setting, dropped them in my timeline and it asks to change my timeline setting to match my footage... OK fine, changes it to 23.98, plays it plays back great. Now I have to do a shoot with audio, which brings me to my question (finally), I can choose 30, 29.97, 24, 23.98 on my timecode frame rate on the 702t, any ideas on what's the best. The project is most likely never going to broadcast and will be played out of a computer to a couple of big Barco projectors in a live situation. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: Timecode frame rate
on Apr 13, 2010 at 6:32:57 pm

You will waant to match frame rates so if you're shooting 24 on the 5D (actual 23.98 rounded) then you'll want 23.98 (rounded) on the Sound devices unit. in most dual system applications you'd want the same sync feeding both devices but that's not possible with the canon it has no sync input nor TC.
always smart to record scratch audio on the camera (ideal is output from the sound devices box)

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Michael King
Re: Timecode frame rate
on Apr 13, 2010 at 10:04:31 pm

Thanks Doug,
That's what I was thinking but wasn't 100% sure about the 23.98 rate, better to ask now. Thanks again for the quick response and info.
Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]