FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Grading / Correction IN THE CAMERA? Cut down post-work?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Bragg
Color Grading / Correction IN THE CAMERA? Cut down post-work?
on Jul 12, 2014 at 3:19:15 pm
Last Edited By Ted Bragg on Jul 12, 2014 at 3:24:07 pm

I love shooting flat, RAW, and the like, but I hate how much time post production eats up when I do.

My question is this:
Is there a way or method to take a sample of footage, shot 'flat' or in RAW, then adjusted/graded in an NLE or special app, then have those parameters translated back to the camera, so that I can shoot in RAW/Extended dynamic range modes with that 'look' baked in?

I've dabbled with the EOS Profile editor (frustrating), and loaded custom profiles (Cinestyle, Marvell, etc) so my train of thought initially followed this path. But for other cameras this wouldn't work.

I'm from old school TV studio production, where the mantra "get it right in camera" was drilled into us. I love shooting footage and know I won't have to fiddle with correction or fix it in post. If I could get my DSLR and BMCC to behave the same I'd be a much happier camper :-)

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Color Grading / Correction IN THE CAMERA? Cut down post-work?
on Jul 12, 2014 at 5:10:16 pm

I'm no expert in this but there are LUTS (look up tables) that do something similar to what you are after. Some cameras allow the use of LUTs directly within the camera but mostly it is done as a post process.

I don't think RAW actually supports the idea of "baking in" a look as the whole point is to not bake in a look but have a great deal of flexibility in adjusting the image to what you want

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Ted Bragg
Re: Color Grading / Correction IN THE CAMERA? Cut down post-work?
on Jul 12, 2014 at 9:16:56 pm

I recall somewhere the camera crew on a show (Weeds? Breaking Bad?) had a 'real-time' color grade going on-set as they shot. Saved them tons of time in post. I'd like to know how they did that, and how to implement into my shooting workflow :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]