FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mounting plate view finder

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
howard jackson
Mounting plate view finder
on Jun 19, 2014 at 1:13:32 am

Recently bought a view finder that attaches to my 5D LCD on a mounting plate. To cut to the chase it came off. Any suggestions on what sort of adhesive to use to attach a plastic frame to the LCD that won't cause damage? Cheers

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
Re: Mounting plate view finder
on Jun 19, 2014 at 5:35:55 am
Last Edited By Rob Manning on Jun 19, 2014 at 5:37:12 am

HI,

Try one of these: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=5d+mark+2+screen+protector&tag=go...

Then mount the thing with double sided tape, industrial strength.

Genustech (I have one) made a loupe but I do not see it listed any longer that uses a rim with adhesive.

Rob Manning

Return to posts index

howard jackson
on Jun 19, 2014 at 6:45:20 am

Hi Rob, thanks for your quick reply. I have a GGS Viewfinder, great little product. I still have the mounting frame, it just didn't stick. Followed instructions to the letter. Double sided carpet tape sounds interesting, you think it would be strong enough to hold the Viewfinder. Here's the product....

http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/ggslcdviewfinder.htm

If it is I think a great many people would be interested to know. We film a lot in the jungle so we need a pretty good adhesive to handle the heat and humidity.
Cheers,

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Jun 19, 2014 at 7:16:11 am
Last Edited By Rob Manning on Jun 19, 2014 at 7:17:42 am

OK Howard, got it.

Nice, looks similar to the Genus version no longer there, with hinge.

I once sourced gaffers matte black tape for adding to our product line.

It became a great seller because of the price point (imported) for musicians and DJs who have no money, versus shiny black duct tape that reflects on camera sets, was cost effective for dealers who shied away from Pro Gaff etc. because of cost.

In sourcing it the main issue was longevity once placed and yes, of course, humidity.

The key is rubber based adhesive so the sticky didn't stay behind.

Outside of that, there must be sheet double sided stuff from 3M or others which is designed for marine or high heat automotive environments.

I put the Genus onto the plastic snap covers I buy for my Nikons, saves having to tape the viewing surface directly which is why I suggested those Canon versions.

Yes, marine or industrial supply adhesive sources might help.

You could always contact Mole Richardson in Hollywood, they might have run into a similar request for adhesive backing over time.

LMK

Rob

Return to posts index

howard jackson
on Jun 19, 2014 at 11:29:27 am

Thanks once again Rob for taking the time and your detailed answer. Yes it's tricky, I want something that bonds strongly but also something that doesn't damage the LCD if I need to take it off. You're right marine adheasive sounds like the best bet. I'll post any success stories here. Cheers, Howard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]