FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sliders? Friction vs bearings

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Sliders? Friction vs bearings
on Jun 18, 2014 at 1:33:41 pm

Question, we're at finally purchasing a linear slider. I've come across several brands out there and several types. One we're looking heavily at is the Kamerar Big slider which is a wheel ball bearing slider. Some of the others are PROAIM and Cinevate, which are mostly friction plate sliders. I know the differences, but which is preferred. Bearing are generally smoother but often noisy. Friction is less smooth and ofternproblematic with a heavier rig, but far less noise.

What do you all have to say about this? Is one preferred over the other. Which would be better to use more frequently and have the long-life durability factor?

OSX 10.7.5 with a 3.39 Ghz Intel Core i7 on a built up Hackintosh
16 GB of RAM with OSX on SSD, (2) internal HDDs RAID'd 1 for project files and External RAID 5 for all project assets (media, GFX, stills, etc.)
BMD Decklink Studio 2, FSI BM210, KRK Rokit 5s, Mackie 802

Return to posts index

Tim Neighbors
Re: Sliders? Friction vs bearings
on Jun 27, 2014 at 4:03:24 am

I can always tell when I see a shot taken with a friction slider. maybe there are some good ones out there that actually work well, but every one I've had experience with made it nearly impossible to get a smooth movement. I usually just opt to not use a slider if it is a friction slider. I say go with bearings. Also, I've done several shoots with bearing sliders and never had any issue with hearing any movement. If it's of good quality, it should be pretty silent.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]