FORUMS: list search recent posts

What microphone to use for DSLR filming

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Stancel
What microphone to use for DSLR filming
on Jun 14, 2014 at 9:26:03 am

Hey guys, i have a little problem, im just starting dslr filming and i want really good sounding audio, i generally film indoors (iphone app reviews) and sometimes short films, the dslr i have at the moment is the canon 600d, im trying to figure out which mic to buy, RODE video mic pro or the RODE stereo vide mic? If anybody has a solution to this problem i will be really thankfull, paul.

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
Re: What microphone to use for DSLR filming
on Jun 24, 2014 at 3:02:51 am

Sorry for a late response, but I'll jump in. First, this is a question best posted on the Audio Professionals forum: if it's sound, they rule. However, as a DSLR feature DP I can tell you: beg or borrow lights, but PAY for a sound pro.
In a one man band scene, I own the video mic pro, and it comes down to the directional pattern of the two mics: super/hyper-cardioid (VMP) or cardioid (SVMP). Since the camera is rarely as close as optimum for audio, I chose a "tighter" pattern to isolate what the lens is pointing at. It does have a "hot spot" directly behind the camera to be aware of, so position/choose what's best for you. These patterns are on the Rode website, specs are really close between the two. Hope this helps...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]