FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to DSLR need advice

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Thomas
New to DSLR need advice
on Jun 9, 2014 at 6:21:22 am

Hi there,

Im getting into DSLR from camcorder and have been researching for 4 days straight and my mind hurts. Im thinking of purchasing this:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-Accessory/dp/B004VGDFD8...

along with a Canon 50mm f/1.8 Lense

My problem is I'm clueless about most of this gear and have been learning on the fly. I want to make sure I can get a close to legit 35mm cinematic look. I feel like this package(along with some future further lense purchases), will allow me to do this. I understand mastering the camera will matter the most, I just want to make sure that when I do, I can get some quality footage for short films.

Am I barking up the right tree? Opinions appreciated.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: New to DSLR need advice
on Jun 9, 2014 at 1:52:34 pm

Dump the zoom lens and use some of the money for a Canon 50mm 1.4 which is much better than invest all the rest into sound gear - sound is huge

Also make sure to get a good quality ND Filter (variable stops is best) or else you won't be able to get a film look in the bright outdoors.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Sam Thomas
on Jun 9, 2014 at 11:56:50 pm

Hey thanks for the reply!

I hear that the differences between the 1.4 and the 1.8 is fairly minimal for price difference. Like I said though, I'm new.

I do intend to purchase digital recorders eventually as I start using more acting. I also have a home studio with lots of sound equipment.

I also intend to purchase a Tamron lense as well.

Thanks for the advice on the ND Filter. I'm looking it up now!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jun 10, 2014 at 1:45:04 am

The difference between the 1.4 and the 1.8 isn't just the little difference in aperture but rather the huge difference in build quality. For me trying to focus the lens with that itty bitty focus ring was a major pain and the lens overall feels very plasticy. Still for what it is and the price the 1.8 is a great lens to have.

The sound gear isn't just for capturing dialogue but all the "natural" sound of the environment you are filming in. The cameras built in mic has no wind protection so outdoor shots often sound terrible

Also look into a magnification loop for your lcd screen, in the bright outdoors the screen can be so washed out that it is very very difficult to use so even a cheaper model is way better than nothing particularly if you are going for those cinematic shots you mentioned.

The list of gear sometimes seems never ending but with a few good pieces of kit you can do really remarkable things with even a very very basic HD DSLR camera body. Mine is like 6 years old now but when shooting full manual I have all the artistic control and choice I could wish for.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Sam Thomas
on Jun 10, 2014 at 5:42:13 am

Hey thanks for all the info. Just 2 more questions:

1. As I said, I'm new. I'm having trouble finding a magnification loop for the T3 Rebel. Can you point me in a direction? Google has failed me.

2. Any advice on affordable digital recorders? I have some old ones laying around somewhere but I doubt they could do the job.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jun 10, 2014 at 2:02:28 pm

The two biggest brands of loupes on the market for DLSR video that I know of seem to be Zacutto (expensive) and Hoodman or Hoodmen? on the lower end.

There was a third brand I recently came across but can't remember the name of that looked good but you can find it my Flipboard Magazine "HD DSLR Filmmaking" at https://flipboard.com/section/hd-dslr-filmmaking-byqgog or on your mobile device,

In terms of affordable digital recorders I would suggest you look for a USED Zoom H4N which is sort of the industry standard. You will get tons of use out of it and it can grow with you.

To mic someone speaking Rode microphones has a special lavalier designed to work with your iphone or Android too I believe. It's good quality and relatively cheap and, of course, moves with the talent.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Sam Thomas
on Jun 10, 2014 at 7:33:58 pm

Hey thanks man. You've been really helpful to me the past few days. I found a Hoodman Loupe that's good and affordable. I'll look into it a bit more.

Thanks for the advice on the Zoom. That's what I was pretty much planning to go with.

I also bookmarked your Flipboard. Looks like lots of good information to sift through.

Thanks for helping out a newbie. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jun 10, 2014 at 10:56:19 pm

No worries Sam, best of luck in all your future filmmaking

Steve

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Jun 10, 2014 at 9:13:22 pm

Steve's spot on.

Buy this as well: http://www.amazon.com/From-Still-Motion-photographers-creating/dp/032170211...

RM

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jun 14, 2014 at 10:08:55 pm
Last Edited By Bill Bruner on Jun 18, 2014 at 9:09:20 am

Hi Sam - I know i'm weighing in late, but I wanted to make sure you understand that the link you posted is to a Canon T3, and not a T3i?
With the T3, you will be limited to 720/30p recording (instead of the standard 1080p) and will not have a mic jack - which is fine - as long as you know what you are getting into.

A few other things you will miss from your camcorder when you shoot with the T3:

- the T3's autofocus works well when you're shooting stills, but stops working when you switch to video ("live view") mode

- as you already know, your viewfinder will also work when you're shooting stills, but will be blocked by the mirror (which is useless for video) when you switch to live view, forcing you to buy a loupe

- the T3 will stop, and have to be restarted after 17 minutes of continuous recording, which is a problem for plays, speeches, and other events.

By the time you add the price of a ~$100 loupe and a ~$100 external recorder to compensate for its deficiencies, you will have paid $629 for this camera - and you still won't have 1080p.

You might as well buy a mirrorless $671.51 Panasonic G6 - which will give you the same large sensor "look" as a DSLR - with the ease of use of a camcorder.

Like a camcorder, the G6 has autofocus and a viewfinder that continue working when you record video. It also records continuously for hours instead of a few minutes, and it is compatible with camcorder-like power zooms like this one and this one from Panasonic. There are no power zoom lenses for Canon DSLRs.

It also has a built-in intervalometer for timelapse and records at up to 1080/60p for in-camera slow motion (something no Canon DSLR can do below the $10,000 Canon 1D C).

Here is the image quality this camera can produce:

Documentary:

Narrative:

Music Video:

Slow Motion/Sport:

Travel Video:

(shot with a power zoom lens)

Compared to the $3000 Canon 5D Mark III:

There are many more examples on the Panasonic G6 channel I moderate over on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/groups/dmcg6

It's a pretty good still camera too:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/lumix-g6/pool/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2217639@N20/

Hope this is helpful and welcome to the world of large sensor, interchangeable lens cameras!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Sam Thomas
on Jun 17, 2014 at 4:13:42 am

hey thanks Bill, I'll take a look at the Panasonic. I really don't mind the T3 and I think it still gets great video at 720.

However, I'll for sure dig through your links. Thanks

Return to posts index

Tina Hofman
on Jun 24, 2014 at 11:32:49 pm

My suggestion is to go with Canon. I used few other brands and in the end I feel canon is the best.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jun 25, 2014 at 8:02:41 am

Respectfully, that's not what major DSLR bloggers like Dave Dugdale of learningdslrvideo.com and Caleb Pike of dslrvideoshooter.com are saying:

People are leaving Canon for a reason - lack of innovation and the inherent limitations of the reflex mirror (e.g., the blanking of the viewfinder while shooting video).

Maybe Canon will listen to Dave and Caleb and add basic video features such as focus peaking and video viewfinders to their entry level cameras - but probably not.

Why should they? Filmmakers continue to buy (and recommend) Canon DSLRs despite their limitations.

My blog post on this is here.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]