FORUMS: list search recent posts

dslr controller, EOS, and monitors for video review and playback

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Landers
dslr controller, EOS, and monitors for video review and playback
on Jun 8, 2014 at 2:11:44 am

My friends and I currently produce a fun video series for youtube and would like to get a better monitor for our current setup as the built-in controls are cumbersome.(Canon 550D)

I see a lot of information about turning different phones and tablets into controllers and monitors. This is what we would like to do for review purposes. I looked into the dslr controller and found a few threads here but what we really need is something to conveniently playback video after we shoot it and I do not see this feature being discussed. PC would also be ok since we are shooting inside and I saw some using the eos software(believe I have the name right on that) but tablet(ipad) is preferred.

We are not really concerned about live feed so much. We want to shoot it, stop recording, and then conveniently review what we have shot without importing the files directly.

My meaning is that I would like to control the playback of files on the memory card in the camera from a seperate device(preferably ipad but PC would be ok too).

Is this possible? Most of the videos and articles I have seen seem to only point out that you can get a live feed and control different settings on the camera. Not one has shown recording a video and then stopping to review what was recorded. By passing the whole import step would be awesome. It would be nice to review a few takes of video and then be able to delete what we don't want and manipulate files without bringing it natively to a pc or tablet.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Travis

Return to posts index

Travis Landers
Re: dslr controller, EOS, and monitors for video review and playback
on Jun 9, 2014 at 2:39:11 pm

Nothing? I guess I will keep searching when I get a second... If anyone finds out anything about this please help...

Return to posts index

David Smail
on Feb 12, 2017 at 2:25:25 pm

I have the exactly the same question that you asked a few years ago about video playback (reviewing recorded material) using DSLR Controller. Did you find a solution? I'd like to know if there is a way. It wold be very useful.

Thanks

Dave

Return to posts index

Travis Landers
on Feb 12, 2017 at 4:01:39 pm

David,

Given the age of this post, I am sure there is more available but unfortunately can not direct you towards it.

The farthest I got was using my android phone as a controller for the dslr. I used an appwhich I cannot remember the name of now and a special adapter. It workedbut not great.

I might suggest searching for a similar solution if you have a tablet lying around.

Sorry I can not be of more help

Travis

Return to posts index

Travis Landers
on Feb 12, 2017 at 4:04:40 pm

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/control-a-dslr-camera-with-your-android-phone-o...

.???

Return to posts index

David Smail
on Feb 12, 2017 at 4:27:24 pm

Hi Travis,

Thanks for your prompt responses. The app you used may have been DSLR Controller but perhaps there's others.
Thanks also for the links. It seems a shame that the feature we both wanted appears to be missing. Photos can be reviewed on the app so why not video? There's probably a good reason.

Thanks again

David

Return to posts index

Travis Landers
on Feb 12, 2017 at 4:33:02 pm

Not to be misleading... the app I did use.. not saying the link i posted here is for certain "the one", did have video review. However, it was not as convenient as I wanted... i had to press more options than I liked to get it. nor was the size of my samsung galaxy 3 worth it I felt. Basically it was a smidge bigger than the built in viewfinder of the camera itself.

With a tablet you might find it different. Also, there may be a better direct link now... or the app improved.

Hope you find it and if you do, perhaps post here for others

Cheers,

Travis

Return to posts index

David Smail
on Feb 12, 2017 at 4:58:41 pm

There may be hope then. I'm using a larger tablet and get no result from video playback, just black. The app may have improved over the years too.
I'll stick at it and if I get it running, I'll share for others. It might be a simple configuration adjustment but I've scrutinised the menus.

Dave

Return to posts index

David Smail
on Feb 13, 2017 at 1:02:09 pm

Hi again Travis,

I got it working in the end. When I originally tried to review video footage from my Canon 600D on my Google Nexus 7 (2013) I was prompted to install the free version of "MX Player" from the Play Store (it has the usual ads but nothing too bothersome) I assume MX Player is required to stream video from the camera to my tablet but I was only getting black and an eternally spinning wheel.

MX Player - Settings - Decoder (Hardware AND Software)

MX Player needed the correct hardware and software decoder configuration settings for my setup, so I played around with various options and arrived at success through trial and error. I'm not sure of what all the settings options do and It's probably the case that different cameras paired with other tablets may need alternative settings but the defaults on MX Player did not work in my case.

The streaming playback is very good and easily found in the menus of DSLR Controller.

There is also a DSLR Controller option to transfer the footage from the camera to the monitoring device if needed.

Hope this helps if you still have a need for this function.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]