FORUMS: list search recent posts

2K Raw vs 2K H.264 What are the differences???

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devinda Fernando
2K Raw vs 2K H.264 What are the differences???
on Jun 7, 2014 at 6:19:56 am

I have a few basic questions that I’ve been trying to get answered over the past few months. After checking all the forums online I still can’t seem to get a simple and comprehensive answer to them. Perhaps someone can help me out?

What is the difference between 2K Raw footage and 2K H.264 footage in terms of quality?

Is there a difference in when you scale the image (zoom in) in editing, i.e. can 2K raw footage be zoomed in further without loss of resolution as opposed to a compressed H.264 2k footage?

Is there a difference in color grading in post-production? (I’m assuming yes, but what would that be specifically?)

Are there different types of 2K Raw? 8Bit 10Bit, 16Bit etc? and what would the difference make for your average professional video production such as a Music Video, TV Commercial, Wedding, etc?

Are some 2K Raw formats better than others? Canon, Sony, Red, or Arri, etc? If so why are some better than others? (In what way)

And finally. If you shrink/scale down 2K footage to SD (NTSC TV format) do you loose resolution? Let me ask that another way, - if I shot a man’s head during an interview in NTSC and then output to NTSC I would have your standard 480x720 lines of resolution. If I shot the same footage in HD (1080i) and then I scaled down that footage to NTSC would I retain the same lines of resolution within the smaller NTSC Rectangle frame? i.e. would there be more detail preserved n the 2K image scaled down to NTSC (more pixels per square inch?) or would the scale down result in a loss of resolution and the image quality be the same as if I shot the original in NTSC to begin with?

Return to posts index

George Goodman
Re: 2K Raw vs 2K H.264 What are the differences???
on Jun 9, 2014 at 1:33:30 pm

The biggest thing to understand about RAW is that it captures sensor data. When you're shooting in h.264, you encoding to a compressed format, so your pushing your colors to certain restrictions. RAW is awesome because you can change your exposure and all sorts of things after the fact. It also tends to be less contrasty which is better for color grading because you have more latitude to push your colors where you want. 2k res will always be 2k, so there isn't really any scaling advantage.

Read this for your bit question:
http://www.instructables.com/id/RAW-8-bit-16-bit-and-32-bit-explained/

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

http://www.vimeo.com/georgegoodman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgefranklingoodman

Return to posts index

Devinda Fernando
on Jun 15, 2014 at 6:24:41 am

Thanks George... I actually had read that article earlier and then I read the comments for that article and the comments correctly stated that I was MORE confused after reading the article than before!

Also I think I'm getting it, but still a bit murky on the details about Raw and Compressed. I think I understand that raw is cetainly better for post production, but the two types of footage both have the same lines of resolution, therefore Raw does not give you any greater detail on the footage than H.264, and I guess it really comes down to the size and capability of the Camera's sensor... i.e. a RED EPIC's sensor is going to capture greater detail (Color Space) than a 5D MK3's sensor... But again... there is no greater magnification capabilities between both cameras if the output is the same?

Does that sound right to you?

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Jun 9, 2014 at 11:25:01 pm

Another nuanced take on HD enabled DSLR's, versus say the BMD box.

http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/1741-should-we-be-using-low-con...

Interesting read.

RM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]