FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lenses for GH4

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Dow
Lenses for GH4
on Apr 24, 2014 at 1:58:03 pm

I've been shooting with an HVX200a for years but now I want to jump into DSLR video. I was about ready to plunk down the $$ for a Canon C100, as I already have some nice lenses. Now I'm intrigued by what I'm seeing on the Panasonic GH4. The ability to do 4K, longer record times, SLo-Mo in camera, etc.

What lenses should I be looking at for the GH4?

Thanks,
JPD

JPD

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Lenses for GH4
on Apr 24, 2014 at 8:13:26 pm

Start with a wide lens.
Get a zoom lens.
Faster the better.

Chris

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Apr 24, 2014 at 9:31:32 pm

Yeah….pretty much figured that…:) was looking for some specific recommendations. (Hey you shot some footage for me this winter….Gtretchen Corbin)

I thought your name was familiar.

Thanks,
Paul

JPD

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 24, 2014 at 9:37:36 pm

Ahh, yes.

I have a 25mm Lumix f1.4 that is amazing, I would recommend something close to that. (Should have used it on that job)

You can get old Canon glass for a deal and an adapter too.

Take care and good luck. The GH cameras take great images.

Chris

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Apr 27, 2014 at 3:29:54 pm

If you can afford it, get a zoom lens with a fixed f-stop at the fast end. This will prevent a noticeable stopping-down of the diaphragm during zoom-ins if you're shooting in low light with the f-stop wide open. I shoot lots of documentary and I'm still in the old-school ENG habit of wanting a hand-driven zoom in the shot.

Cheaper zooms like the LUMIX G Vario 45-150mm f/4.0-5.6 have a range of f-stop at the fast end, as opposed to the awesome Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm f/2.8.

It may seem like a simple thing to always start your shot with the zoom stopped down to the higher bottom value (that way it won't force a stop-down if you zoom in), but when the action is frenetic and you're in the thick of a low-light situation, it's nice to have one less issue to figure.

And, if you shoot handheld a lot-- the transition from HVX to GH series is challenging. Because the system is so small, every little nuance of your grip is magnified into the shot. Stabilizer cages and such can help, but even so, try to stick with lenses that have OIS. Some fast wide lenses like the LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7, which gets you amazing low-light ambience, do not have OIS.

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Apr 28, 2014 at 6:15:51 pm

@William...Thanks for the input.

JPD

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Apr 28, 2014 at 6:17:26 pm

You're welcome. But who is @William?

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Apr 30, 2014 at 2:48:18 pm

:) That was intended for you. (William)

JPD

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Apr 29, 2014 at 1:01:18 pm

Hi JPD - you've already gotten some great advice in this thread - but if you're coming from camcorders, you might want to consider the Panasonic power zooms (14-42mm and 45-175mm). They aren't constant aperture, but, if your shooting style includes focal length changes during the shot, they're a lot smoother than cranking manually.

Here's the 45-175 on the GH3 - rendered at 720p, but please note the smooth zoom at 0:32

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Apr 30, 2014 at 2:48:59 pm

Thank you Bill!

JPD

Return to posts index

Kevin Paolillo
on May 15, 2014 at 10:33:41 pm

I have been a GH guy since the GH1, so I have tried a lot of them. The Panasonic lenses have come a long way since the first iteration, both in terms of build quality and low light performance. When almost every lens will fit the camera, Panasonic realized they better get their act together and The Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 constant 2.8's are very good go to lenses that take full advantage of the camera's internal stability system and fairly quick autofocus. But for my money the Voightlanders, particularly the 45mm .95 is the winner. It looks good at .95 but really shines at around 1.4. especially on interviews. Built solid as a rock.

Return to posts index

Tim Neighbors
on Jun 27, 2014 at 3:54:24 am

Hi, I just purchased the GH4 as well (on backorder) and I'm looking for lenses for it as well. It's primarily for video but I do still stuff on occasion as well. The Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 seem like the obvious first choice, but I've read that they have electric focus rings. I really want a lens that can do both. Both of my canon lenses have a manual focus ring (physical stops, can be marked, etc.) but will also work with AF. I'm really hoping I can track down a fast zoom lens or 2 that cover the basic range of focal lengths with a manual focus ring that will also allow me to take stills with AF. Any suggestions? I may settle for one of the mentioned panasonic lenses if they 'feel' like a manual. I just tend to hate life when I'm using a silly electric focus ring for manual focusing.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jun 27, 2014 at 5:48:57 am

Hey Tim, it sounds like you're the kind of person who needs to actually mount the lens on your camera and literally get the feel of it before you decide. I'm like that, so when I go to NYC every few months I do all my "feeling" research at B and H, even if just for educational purposes. They carry all Lumix and other 4/3 choices for my GH bodies. Just don't go on a Sunday afternoon, the lines will be long.

Return to posts index

Tim Neighbors
on Jun 27, 2014 at 6:00:52 am

yeah, this is good advice. ...although I hope one of the rental houses around LA has a good assortment that I can try out. NY is quite the mission.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jun 27, 2014 at 3:17:56 pm

Try Samy's on Fairfax.

Return to posts index

Roger Martin
on May 22, 2014 at 4:44:04 pm

The power zoom lens would interest me a lot more if they were cconstant f/2.8 or faster.
Even the 7-14 f/4 was too slow for my indoor work.
Most places will not allow you to add lights.

If I could only have one lens it would be a 10-40 f/2.0.
As it is, I use the Lumix 12-35 f/2.8 99% of the time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]