FORUMS: list search recent posts

Onion ring-like stacked compression artifacting on direct to sd card footage?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Booska
Onion ring-like stacked compression artifacting on direct to sd card footage?
on Apr 16, 2014 at 11:26:21 pm

Hi, I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this "issue" I am having with two of my dslr cameras.
A lot of times, when I am in darker areas, or even well lit areas that may be out of focus or next to a light source, I experience a stacked, onion ring-like compression pattern. I find this with my Nikon D5200 and my Sony NEX5N, both of which are reputed as being monster cameras for their price range.

I see other peers with their dslr's having no issues with this, so naturally, I feel like I am cursed, lol.
I've attached a photo to try and illustrate this. I am really hoping it is my inexperience as a videographer, and this can be corrected, as I'd hate to think this is a crappy sensorissue in both cameras. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joel Booska
Re: Onion ring-like stacked compression artifacting on direct to sd card footage?
on Apr 16, 2014 at 11:49:48 pm

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Onion ring-like stacked compression artifacting on direct to sd card footage?
on Apr 17, 2014 at 3:59:15 pm

Hey there, looks like JPEG compression with the blockiness. Are you shooting raw or jpeg? Shooting flat? Also, make sure there aren't any known issues with lowlight and the sensors on those cameras. Try some experiments with low light and a scrim to give you a wall gradient from dark to light and try different colors, exposure settings, data settings (ie: jpeg or raw), sizes, in-camera compression, etc.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Joel Booska
on Apr 17, 2014 at 9:46:38 pm

Hi, thanks for the response. I actually have video footage. If you want to see it, it's at this link. Thanks! That picture wasnt a good representation...I'm wondering if it's "Newton Rings" caused by uneven sensor oil spread? LOL...aberrations from my nikkor 50mm F1.8 lens for $200?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:20:55 pm

Thanks for sending the video. I see its much more noticeable around the brighter areas of the image as in the image from earlier. I did a little research on your Nikon D5200 and I found these (look for "banding nikon d5200"):

http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/2013/04/nikon-d5200-and-d7100-band-a...

He seems to have done extensive testing on this. Looks like the issue is largely due to the Toshiba sensor. It can never hurt to keep your sensor and lenses clean, but I don't think that's your issue here.

Let me know how it goes! :)

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Joel Booska
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:55:01 pm

Hi Jonathan, thanks for the reply and link! Sadly, I think the banding is the FNP (fixed noise pattern) of the Toshiba sensor. I could be wrong. This is not my issue. My issue is with the "splotchy, wave-ripple-like" artifacts in the sky. As you stated, this usually happens next to light sources. It has also happened on beige colored walls indoors being lit by a picture window in a living room. Normal exposure, moderate iso (probably between 100-400, f1.8 1/50 shutter.

It's kind of mind boggling. I can certainly deal with the horizontal lines in darker areas. Sure, it's not as "film like" as the Canon sensor where it breaks up as purplish colored dots like grain, but it's tolerable.

I just can't stand knowing that the Toshiba sensor has all this heavily researched esteem behind it for being such a powerhouse game changer and with a simple interior or sky shot, I can't get past that ugly puddling of compression artifacting.

Keep in mind, I do not ever shoot raw. I work in video only for the time being and cannot afford an external capture device for HDMI out.
So it's all internal direct to my sd card.
I know the saying goes; "you get what you pay for", but I'm having a hard time believing that a 700 dollar camera body that is supposedly on par with the Canon MK11 5D can't cut the mustard with a style of shooting that most hobbyists take for granted..pointing it at the beautiful, blue sky. lol...

I'll keep searching. Maybe I missed something with your link. I apologize if I am coming across finicky, I can't help it, I am obsessed. I want to fix this badly.

A friend told me the Nikkor 50mm f1.8's had a rep for giving color scattering and/or chromatic aberrations. I stil don;t know if this is the case. What I'm seeing looks like "Newtons Rings".

The funny thing is, I get these artifacts even if I'm not using a UV filter or Nd filter..so I'm stumped!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]