FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom H4N Direct Mic Into Camera Recording - Canon 70D or Panasonic G6 / GH3 for Best Results?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lim
Zoom H4N Direct Mic Into Camera Recording - Canon 70D or Panasonic G6 / GH3 for Best Results?
on Apr 2, 2014 at 2:31:34 am

Dear all
This is a wonderful and valuable forum which I have learnt a lot of things.
I wanted to make some simple video recordings with good quality audio sound and have purchased the Zoom H4N with Sescom cable (with headphone inputs)and would like to know which camera makes a good combo with the Zoom H4N. I have numerous Canon lenses (no L lenses, the normal EF-S lenses) and M43 lenses (both Oly and Panny, some with wide apertures of 1.8) and hope to use these lenses for good video recording.

Some queries as I am a total amateur in this area:
1) Lenses with wide aperture would achieve better video recording in low light. Would there be a need to get new lenses, eg STM Canon lens in order to use on the Canon 70D for full autofocus video capability? Likewise for Panasonic, would it need to be the latest lenses made for video recording? Would using current lens system still have focus tracking for moving subjects?

2) Direct audio recording into camera: I have been advised that separate post audio processing gives the best sound quality. Which software would be the easist to use ie just to replace audio segment?

Due to lack of time, I would hope to record audio from Zoom H4N directly into camera, in uncompressed MOV mode so as to have the best video/audio quality possible. Would like to know if anyone has good experience on either the Canon or Panasonic? In addition, if the choice is narrowed to Panasonic G6 and GH3, would the audio recording be somewhat similar (assuming I am just taking simple video recording without post editing).

Many thanks in advance for your patience and kind advice to an amateur.

Regards,
Michael

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Zoom H4N Direct Mic Into Camera Recording - Canon 70D or Panasonic G6 / GH3 for Best Results?
on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:36:47 pm

Unless I misunderstand you, your plan is to use the Zoom as the Mic and plug it directly into your camera. Most people using the Zoom H4N don't use its built in mics but instead attach other types of mics to it and then feed maybe feed the output to a camera but essentially the Zoom is being used as a recording device primarily and not for its mic.

Now some people DO exactly what I understand is your goal but that would not be my first choice.

The Zoom really doesn't have any impact at all on your camera or lens choices.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Michael Lim
Re: Zoom H4N Direct Mic Into Camera Recording - Canon 70D or Panasonic G6 / GH3 for Best Results?
on Apr 3, 2014 at 1:03:38 am

Thanks for the reply Steve. Yes it is my intention to use the Zoom as the mic although it would not be ideal. If I were to use it as a recorder and use another mic, what would be a good entry level mic to use that would still help to produce decent audio? Thanks again.

".....it is not how much we have, but how much quality time we spend with our loved ones, that makes happiness....."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]