FORUMS: list search recent posts

70D vs. GH4

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Bales
70D vs. GH4
on Mar 26, 2014 at 5:35:30 am

So, since this is my first post, and I know the rules of most forums out there, here is a little bit about me:

1. I like shooting video
2. I like taking still photos
3. I am an amateur aspiring to create as professional images as my budget will allow.

Sound familiar?

Anyways, I know I haven't contributed yet, but my predicament is as follows.

I have budget of no more than $5,000. I have researched until my finger tips are bloody and can't seem to decide on which DSLR or Mirrorless camera to buy. I know what I want for glass, audio, tripod and other stabilization. Where I hit a road block is which body to purchase. I will primarily be shooting video, however since my budget is on the lower end, I must combine the ability to shoot still images as well. Some issues I am having is...

1. Full Frame vs. Mirrorless/Micro Four-Thirds

Since my budget, as mentioned prior, is minimal relative to professional like productions, I have narrowed it down to Micro Four-Thirds or cropped image sensors with the possibility of the full frame 6D, which in turn, has helped me to narrow it down to these cameras:

Canon 70D vs. the new Panasonic GH4 vs. Canon 6D

I am unable to really handle 4K in post at this time, so is it worth the extra $450 to buy the GH4? The 70D looks pretty sweet, but would it benefit me to spend a little more for the full frame 6D? In short, which DSLR/Mirrorless camera is best for video on my budget?

If you are so inclined to do so, I would appreciate the input. Thanks and I look forward to contributing to CC in the near future. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: 70D vs. GH4
on Mar 26, 2014 at 10:50:42 pm

You could get a GH3 for $1,000 now and down the road when you are ready for 4k, you can upgrade to a GH4 and use all the nice lenses you have been amassing.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Mar 27, 2014 at 1:22:50 am

Hi Ryan - if you're a video shooter, there are at least four reasons to get the GH4
- 4K or no 4K:

1. 1080/96p crystal clear slow motion - this is a big deal - the Canons don't even shoot 1080/60p

2. A viewfinder that actually works when you're shooting video - DSLR viewfinders blank out

3. Outside of the EU, the GH4
has no 30 minute continuous recording limit - if you're shooting a speech, a play or an event that lasts for more than 30 minutes, the Canons stop recording and have to be restarted

4. Real video camera settings (e.g., shutter angle and master pedestal). If you ever move up to a cinema camera, this will be helpful.

If you want great stills, buy a Canon. If you're a video shooter, I recommend the GH4. At $1698, it's a bargain.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Ryan Bales
on Mar 27, 2014 at 8:12:14 pm

Thank sir! You bring up some very valid points.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 20, 2014 at 8:37:43 pm

For where you're at right now; I second the GH3 - amazing camera for your budget. Look up a couple GH3 shot clips.

Chris

Return to posts index

Roger Martin
on May 22, 2014 at 5:28:23 pm

I've had Canons and prefer Nikons for both stills and video
However, neither will do continuous video unattended.

I just got a GH4 and it is at least 10% better than the GH3 in every way.
May not sound like much, but now a days that is a lot and well worth twice the price. Even at $1695 the GH4 is a bargain.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]