FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue with my 5d mark II side-dolly video clip

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gianluca Bertone
Issue with my 5d mark II side-dolly video clip
on Apr 7, 2010 at 6:07:39 pm

Hello all,
I have taken a 40 seconds shot with the 5D MII at 30fps (1080p) whereas the camera is on top of the car's roof and it aims to a barn which is parallel to the path of the car. Camera's body was secured on the car with a suction's cup and I was driving very,very slow with a constant pace. It is really a great shot that I like, but it doesn't play smoothly, therefore I cannot use it. I tried to convert the h264 with quick time conversion into a PRORES LT or HQ but still my hardware is not playing it smoothly (MacbookPro 17, 2.8 gigahz with 8 giga of ram). Can anybody please tell me if there is a codec that i should try or any other advise? Thank you very much in advance.

Return to posts index

Matt Doe
Re: Issue with my 5d mark II side-dolly video clip
on Apr 7, 2010 at 7:47:25 pm

Have you tried "regular" ProRes (ProRes 422)? Is the drive you are playing the file from nearly full?

Your specs should be more than enough to handle one stream of ProRes, I assume the h264 plays fine?

Return to posts index

Gianluca Bertone
on Apr 15, 2010 at 3:08:57 pm

The laptop is brand new and the internal hard drive was almost empty.
I talked about this issue with Vincent Laforet at NAB and he told me that dslrs have this shutter speed problem on side-dolly shots. Moreover, he said I should try to re-shoot much slowly or faster and then slow it down in Final Cut.

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Apr 7, 2010 at 7:51:39 pm

Since you gave all of that background info, is your issue with this particular shot or does every shot from the 5D stutter on your setup?

If the issue is just this shot only, did you have a lens with IS turned on? I haven't had a problem with it, but some say that it makes slow pans look strange sometimes, so try turning it off.

If it's an issue with every shot from the 5D, I'd investigate your hardware setup. Are you editing with the Macbook Pro's internal drive? It might help if you edit from an external FW800 or eSATA drive at the least.

What NLE are you using? Does it always have issues with Prores?

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Apr 7, 2010 at 9:06:10 pm

I use Cineform Neoscene to transcode my 7D files into their proprietary codec with a 4.2.2 .avi file. Plays smoothly in Vegas 8. I render out as a Quicktime photojpeg file.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]