FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color profile for D800 footage to look like Mark III

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Totolici
Color profile for D800 footage to look like Mark III
on Jan 22, 2014 at 2:31:42 am

Hi,
I am shooting with my D800 and have another shooter on a Mark III.
Does anyone know the settings to make the D800 footage look more like the Mark III? Canon is always overly warm, wether good or bad, I need a profile for my Nikon to blend in.

Ideas?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
Re: Color profile for D800 footage to look like Mark III
on Feb 3, 2014 at 3:54:00 am

Hi Adrian, the dynamic range of these two devices does not match as you noted.

The best way, on set, shoot in show lights, studio lights or if outside, in real time, a clip(s) from each camera.

Then take the video to the NLE and check the scopes for differences and use the Kelvin scale to move color where you get a closer match.

This is where set engineers who might never operate a camera are using color bars, monitor calibration and scopes etc. to get evenness from the devices.

Another way, if you have an iJOBS device or Android, then load the apps for filming which can include a color meter for Kelvin. Sekonic makes a color meter but it costs a few grand.

Lastly, one can download picture profiles like Flatt for both devices but all of this needs to be staged well before the slate goes live.

Others may have different opinions of course but we shot a concert, 2 D7Ks, two different Canons and yes, Canon's color space was a lot 'warmer' even though we tried to look at our on camera monitors pre show to match.

This was addressed at great difficulty in post and we should have made the house and stage crew allow us to test shoot and scope before the show lights to be at least 'close'.

Lesson learned.

Rob Manning

Return to posts index

Adrian Totolici
Re: Color profile for D800 footage to look like Mark III
on Feb 3, 2014 at 2:19:36 pm

What about a FCP X plugin or color filter?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]