FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining new dslr with old optics

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Ahston
Combining new dslr with old optics
on Jan 18, 2014 at 2:31:35 pm

I want to get a dslr.

It's for taking stills and video but i suppose video is the more important.

It seems like a good idea for me, to get one of those mounts that enables me to use my old Nikon lenses. I'm not interested in getting a cheep mediocre zoom-lense. I would rather use fixed lenses and pull focus manually and I imagine that using older optics would save me some money –which is an issue– and perhaps give my pictures a slightly different look.

So what is the name of the kind of mount I'm need for this, a) if a get a Canon 7d or 600d or b) if I get a nikon (what models would be most relevant?

I'd sure appreciate some input on this. What to consider and so on.

Andreas

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
Re: Combining new dslr with old optics
on Jan 19, 2014 at 11:57:27 pm

I love my old manual focus Nikkors. You would need a lens mount adapter to use Nikon lenses on a Canon. I can't answer what Nikon body would be most relevant to you because I don't know what you plan to shoot, how you want to shoot it, or what your budget is. As far as what will give you the best quality, that's probably the newer bodies. D800 is great (what I use) D610 (also full frame), D5300 is supposed to produce great footage and will shoot 1080p @60fps and for well under a grand.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Combining new dslr with old optics
on Jan 24, 2014 at 2:01:30 pm

I use my old Nikkor prime lenses on my Canon T2i, and have successfully used the Fotodiox adapter:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Shop-by-Brand-FotodioX/ci/4/phd/402510118...

I went for the cheapest "dumb" model, since I shoot video in manual mode, so I didn't need any of the electronics, just a mechanical connection. When I attach the lens and turn on the camera, you get an error message saying there's no lens - bypass it and you're good to go. I think I bought my Fotodiox adapters on *Bay, one for each lens, since it's a pain to swap out the adapter. And also get some Canon rear dust protectors, since the Nikon ones won't fit any more. Simple, inexpensive, and it gives you a whole new/old arsenal of creative possibilities.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]