FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording Audio on DSLR- Am I Out of Options

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heckt
Recording Audio on DSLR- Am I Out of Options
on Jan 14, 2014 at 7:22:55 pm

Hello friends,

I have a Rebel t2i and a Shotgun Rode Video Mic. It has been great for the documentary stuff I've been shooting, but now I'm going to be shooting more formal interviews and am unsure what to do. I'll be shooting two subjects sitting next to each other.

Does anyone know the best strategy to record audio here? I am willing to spend about $200-$250 on any of the following if necessary: zoom recorder, boom pole, or even a new mic if I need one.

I wish I had a mic that ran xlr, but I don't. Is there any way I can boom my current mic and get good audio? Possibly on to a zoom? I'm very new at this but plan on doing these kinds of interviews a lot (interviews, panel discussions, etc).

Again, I am on a low budget here.

Return to posts index

George Goodman
Re: Recording Audio on DSLR- Am I Out of Options
on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:20:22 pm

Have you considered renting?

Buying is more fun, but with the amount of money you're looking to spend, you're not going to get great audio. You can definitely get it done, but to do it properly, you should use two separate lavaliers recording into separate channels. This just isn't in your budget.

If this is a paid gig, just bill the client for the rental. You just tell them that because they require more equipment, it's a more expensive shoot. This is a standard procedure.

I know it might not quite be the answer you're looking for, but it's something to consider.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

John Heckt
on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:21:54 pm

I didn't even know that these things can be rented. Do you know of any national chains that rent? I'm from the Twin Cities in Minnesota and wonder what kind of places rent out.

Thanks so much for your response, and I'm glad you were direct with me.

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:39:50 pm

I mean, I just googled it. Here's a start:

http://www.emiaudio.com/rentals/mics-wireless.html

You'll have to research it yourself to see what works best, but you might just call some places around town and ask them for recommendations etc.

I see that hey have a singular audio wireless lav system for $30 for a rental. I bet you could get everything you need for around $50.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jan 16, 2014 at 10:40:22 am

John - renting is a great option - but may end up costing you close to your entire $250 sound budget.

If renting turns out to be unaffordable, here is a $278.30 2 person lav interview setup that will give you usable sound with your T2i:

2 x Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Microphones - $38

2 x 3.5mm Mono Jack (Female) to 1/4" Mono Plug (Male) - $6

1 x Behringer MICROMIX MX400 4-Channel Mixer - $19.99

1 x Hosa 1/8 Inch to 1/4 Inch Cable - $3.88

1 x Zoom H1 Recorder - $74.99

1 x 1/4" Camera Hot Shoe Mount - $9.50

1 x Sescom LN2MIC-ZMH4-MON - $35.95

1 x Senal SMH-1000 Monitor Headphones - $89.99

Plug the mics into the mixer using the 3.5mm to 1/4" adapters. Plug the mixer into the recorder with the 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch cable, mount the recorder on the camera with the 1/4" camera shoe mount and connect the recorder output to the camera mic in with the Sescom.

Make sure to hit record on the recorder at the same time you start recording on the camera. This setup should give you a backup track "just in case" - you can decide which to use when you get to the editing suite.

I recommended the monitoring version of the Sescom cable so you can at least monitor what is going into the camera.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

John Heckt
on Jan 22, 2014 at 6:15:51 pm

Thank you guys so much. I"m going to look into these options! I appreciate the advice. May good things come your way today

Return to posts index

John Heckt
on Jan 22, 2014 at 6:21:41 pm

Bill,

Would any pair of high quality headphones work in this case? My friends record music a lot and I bet they could lend me a pair. Is there anything about these headphones that is necessary to what I'm trying to do?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]