FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tascam DR-40 Headphone Issue

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey McNamara
Tascam DR-40 Headphone Issue
on Jan 5, 2014 at 5:09:49 am

Hello, I just purchased a Tascam DR-40 "new" from someone on craigslist. I'm having some issues with a simple task and I want to know whether or not I got burned with a faulty unit.

I am trying to simply playback and monitor via headphones. I have turned my speaker off and have the line out connected to my headphones, yet I hear nothing. I do hear from the speaker when I turn my speaker on. Am I missing a simple setting? I am fairly tech savvy and have never had issues with another recorder, though I'm hoping I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Casey

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Tascam DR-40 Headphone Issue
on Jan 5, 2014 at 2:50:13 pm

Have you read through the manual to make sure you're doing everything right:
http://www.wellesley.edu/sites/default/files/assets/departments/libraryandt...

It's a pretty straightforward little recorder (I own one, and love it), and have used it on a mic boom for field recording, using headphones to monitor levels while shooting. It just seems to work on mine. My guess would be that the CL seller broke the input jack somehow (these little 3.5mm jacks are the weak point in small audio devices), and stuck you with it. I'd get back in touch with him if you can, and ask him straight out. It would probably cost more to repair it than it cost you to buy it. There's also the possibility that he connected the line in while phantom power was turned on, and fried some of the circuitry. This possibility is clearly stated in the manual, but some people just love to start using sophisticated equipment without reading the directions first. Good luck.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]