FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange alias files on CF card

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elizabeth Perlman
Strange alias files on CF card
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:45:23 pm

Saw this after attempting to dump files off of a SanDisk16GB captured on my Canon7D. Is this considered a corrupt file? Basically about 6 files only contain ".moe" instead of MOV and say "TH^" instead of THM but the rest of the card is fine. Would data recovery work for this?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Strange alias files on CF card
on Jan 2, 2014 at 7:10:23 pm

Well, it doesn't look good put it that way but let's see.

A couple of questions - if you keep the card in camera and try to review or play back the video, is it just the one that plays back?

Another question - for the five .mo4 files does your computer show the file has a size that you would expect for HD video?

Did you by any chance let the camera continue shooting video until it ran up against the 12 min/file size limit and aborted itself? Were there any battery problems?

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Perlman
on Jan 3, 2014 at 8:38:56 pm

Only uncorrupted video files play back when card is reinserted. One of the TH^ shows 1.2 gigs sooo there was something on that. No battery problems, I didn't record for over 12 minutes but it was definitely around 7-8 and the longest I continuously shot because it was the most important speech out of all the ones that were captured correctly. oye! I'm in the process of working with Treasured who have recovered the file miraculously. Just wondering if it's my camera/card..or If I should look into it further to avoid it happening again. The firmware wasn't updated soo that could be it.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 3, 2014 at 11:54:01 pm

AFTER you get the data off the card, I would reformat it in camera and then do some test shots just to make sure the card seems to be OK. Bottom line, however, I would always be suspicious of that particular card and it might just be safest to throw it away and get a new card.

I still suspect that something or other happened while filming that resulted in corrupting the data. Another possibility was that the camera overheated and aborted its filming mid clip resulting in corruption but if you were closely monitoring the camera while filming something like that would be pretty obvious and hard to miss so I don't know.

Firmware problems are not that likely because then it should be every clip you have ever recorded with that version of the firmware would have been impacted. It wouldn't hurt to update the firmware but the real problem is something else....you are just going to have to test, test test with a new card to make sure the camera is operating properly - if it is, then it could be the card. A certain percentage of storage cards will fail...in fact there was a new story a few weeks ago about a whole batch of bad cards from one of the major manufacturers just being totally garbage. If you purchased the card that failed at an exceptionally low price, some unscrupulous business people have been known to sell cards that didn't pass the manufacturers quality control test and there's very few ways to know since it comes in all the right packaging and everything.

Oh, what was the specific brand and "model" of the card you were using? For video you have to use at least a "Class 6" card which by today's standards are not actually super fast but are more than workable. I have had good luck with cards from Transcend:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS16GSDHC10E/dp/B003VNKN...

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 4, 2014 at 12:01:59 am

Oh you said Sandisk which is normally an excellent brand.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Perlman
on Jan 4, 2014 at 1:44:21 am

I figured SanDisk would be the best but maybe I should switch to Lexar? No guarantee really with any if these cards despite stellar reviews. My camera does tend to overheat more than usual but it didn't during the speech. Starting the new year with the mark III so hopefully I'll have better luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]