FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio monitoring with DSLR question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Bo
Audio monitoring with DSLR question
on Dec 30, 2013 at 2:24:42 pm

Hi all,

Im looking for a solution to allow me to monitor my audio with my 60D (without using ML). I considered buying something like a tascam as in the link below. Does anyone know if using a device like this if I could put the "Line out" to go directly into my camera? I dont like the idea of having to sync my audio in post so it would be awesome to be able to use a splitter and hook headphones into the line out as well as hook the other end of the splitter directly to my DSLR. Any idea if this is possible with this system or if there is one out there that could do it? I am a lone ranger when it comes to video so im trying to keep things and easy as possible with minimal cables and equipment.

Link: amazon.com/TASCAM-DR-05-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B004OA6JW0

Thanks!
Bryan

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Audio monitoring with DSLR question
on Dec 30, 2013 at 5:23:49 pm

I normally use the Zoom H4N as an external recorder that lets me also monitor the sound it is recording. Of course, this does require syncing in post which you said you didn't want to do. For a recent event shoot (a 5K race) I did something a small bit different.

Basically what I did was to feed the Zoom's output to the camera while at the same time monitoring the sound going into the camera instead of my normal procedure of monitoring the sound that is being recorded by the Zoom

I used this cable

http://www.amazon.com/Sescom-LN2MIC-ZMH4-MON-Attenuation-Headphone-Monitori...

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Bryan Bo
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:48:23 pm

I think what you are mentioning with this cable is exactly what I want to do. You say you were unable however to control the audio levels? How come they could not be controlled either through the h4n or in the DSLRs audio levels directly (I know not all DSLRs have the capability, I believe the 60D does, though its likely not very good).

I really want to download ML, I'm just nervous to do so! If something happened to my camera I wouldn't have the money to replace it anytime soon!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Dec 30, 2013 at 7:02:17 pm

Sorry for the confusion
My first reply was incorrect so I posted another better answer but the first one wasn't deleted

I can adjust the levels via the zoom but I can't inside my older Canon T2i - for that I would need magic lantern

mL is quite safe. Don't be afraid to install it Thousands of users have done so without issue and it is a simple matter to remove

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Bryan Bobo
on Dec 30, 2013 at 7:15:08 pm

Thank you for your help Steve!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]