FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming a Silhouette

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Heilig
Filming a Silhouette
on Dec 12, 2013 at 2:47:15 pm

Hello,

I have been trying to achieve this effect, and I have a client that possibly wants something like this on a shoot this weekend. Thing is I never get it quite right. I am looking to have the background fully exposed and the subject as a silhouette.

screenshot2013-12-12at9.37.21am.png

Return to posts index

George Goodman
Re: Filming a Silhouette
on Dec 12, 2013 at 3:21:04 pm

Since they are in front of the window, that is relatively easy to achieve.

1) turn off all the lights
2) expose for the outdoor conditions - a low iso will be good to reduce noise in the blacks
3) crunch the blacks in post if need be

It's just a matter of difference in lighting. Outside is very bright, so make inside not bright (which is already naturally the case, but can be enhanced by turning all the lights off)

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Filming a Silhouette
on Dec 12, 2013 at 5:52:57 pm

Yes I agree with George, that should do it. Funny how what is generally considered a "mistake" can be exactly right for some situations and for some clients. So expose for the background and let the foreground go dark but not totally black so that you can still make out some basic shapes. Fine tuning in your editing program will probably be the way to get just the right mix.

Here's an old joke: Shooting out of focus or with a bad exposure once is a mistake, three times and it's a style!

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]