FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR with visible time stamp for legal work?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McCune
DSLR with visible time stamp for legal work?
on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:41:39 pm

For some work a visible time stamp is required on the running video. There are some broadcast and semi-pro camcorders, from about $2,000 and up, with this option.

A DSLR or even a POV type would be smaller and could work IF IT HAD TIME STAMP and HDMI out with the time stamp.

Because the video must be delivered on-site, an edited time stamp solution won't work.

Haven't seen this time stamp feature on DSLR, 4/3rd cameras or POV: any suggestions???

Thanks,
Mike M

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: DSLR with visible time stamp for legal work?
on Dec 5, 2013 at 1:25:30 am

As far as I know, there is no DSLR which has the ability to put a live time stamp on the output. The time information exists in the metadata of each file, but it sounds as if that's not enough for your needs.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Nathaniel J Opgenorth
Re: DSLR with visible time stamp for legal work?
on Dec 19, 2013 at 8:05:14 am

I'm surprised this isn't one of the strange features buried in something like a Canon 7D or something like that. Maybe a request to Magic Lantern for something like this? If your not sure what Magic Lantern is look it up...I could give you suggestions of cameras that do this but like you said they would be over $2,000 and usually more than that from what I've seen...also I believe Sandisk make one time use SD and CF cards for this purpose I believe for certain legal work using the write once read only SD cards its enough with the EXIF data but I wouldn't do that without checking with your Office/Department, I've seen the Write once SD/CF cards in use with Law Enforcement Officers on standard Canon and Nikon DSLR's. Best solution would be for in camera burning of the timecode and not just over HDMI if you really need it to hold up to possible questioning of how it was obtained. I'll see if I can ask some of the officers I know about this subject. Sorry I can't be more useful but i thought I would post anyways however....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]