FORUMS: list search recent posts

5Dmk3 Preamp Zoom H6?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McSwain
5Dmk3 Preamp Zoom H6?
on Dec 3, 2013 at 5:18:17 pm

First off, I know that audio people would tell me not to do any of this and to record to a field recorder instead. One man band on a budget has it's downsides though...

So to avoid the crappy preamp in the 5Dmk3 I've been using the Sennheiser G3's preamp turned up to +6 or so in order to leave the 5D preamp turned way down. It seems to be working ok but I occasionally need 2 channels and really would love to always have two channels adjusted for safety. Of course I've been looking at the Juicedlink and Beachteck stuff. Anyone have any opinions on using the line out of the Zoom H6? Would that not function similarly to the juicedlink? I would assume that you would have some gain control out of the line out and it would hopefully be comparable in noise to the Sennheiser G3?

It just seems like more bang for your buck to buy something more versatile. Opinions anyone? Anyone tried this?

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: 5Dmk3 Preamp Zoom H6?
on Dec 4, 2013 at 12:01:41 pm

Hi Michael - I presently use my recorders with Sescom cables as preamps (Zoom H1/Sescom LN2MIC-ZMH4 and TASCAM DR-40/Sescom LN2MIC-TASDR100).

But I am saving up for a JuicedLink Riggy Micro RM222.

Here's why:

- I never use the safety track from the recorders anyway

- It is sometime a challenge to have a recorder hanging off the camera: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N2fhpkBqQyA/UlAwzPz9p8I/AAAAAAAAIKA/Cr57...

- The Zoom, with no XLR inputs, has a physical rocker switch for output level control. The more expensive Tascam, with XLR inputs, has no output level control that I can discern. Maybe it's in software somewhere, but I can't find it. I want an output control with a physical knob or dial (Pretty sure this is not a problem with the H6).

- Juicedlink preamplifiers are quiet - competitive with much more expensive preamps, such as the Sound Devices Mix Pre-D:

Robert from Juicedlink is biased, of course, but he gives a pretty fair comparison of his product, the DR-60 and the H6 here:

Since your 5D Mark III already has meters and a headphone jack, I would save the $70 over the $399 cost of the H6 and get a $329 JuicedLink Riggy Micro RM222.

Hope this is helpful and best of the holidays!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Michael McSwain
on Dec 4, 2013 at 12:17:43 pm

Yea $70 is just enough to make me think about it. I do think the quality of the preamp would be my main concern though. 99.9% of my audio recording time is sit down interviews so I don't need the camera mount option to be perfect. My main thought was that the versatility may prove useful in the future.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:51:53 pm

I recently added a tascam dr-60 and it did a great job on the first time out. Highly recommend it. Probably won't go back to my fine pmd-661 for field recording except board feeds in band situations. I will also be using the 60 with a mixpre-d for better volume control. I call the pre amps about a wash for my interview work. An audiofile might disagree, but narrative is not that difficult.

Al

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Dec 5, 2013 at 11:34:28 pm

Michael - Al makes a good point. And buying the Tascam DR-60D just got easier. It just dropped to $249 at Amazon.

Good luck,

Bill

Return to posts index

Michael McSwain
on Dec 5, 2013 at 11:47:57 pm

I've looked at the tascam but I read somewhere that when dialing the gain up and down you got a notched increase or decrease. Not a smooth level change. that would be kind of a deal breaker for me because you would not be able to ride the levels while recording. Does anybody know this to be true or not?

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Dec 7, 2013 at 8:36:55 pm
Last Edited By Bill Bruner on Dec 7, 2013 at 8:44:20 pm

Looks like Deejay from dslrfilmnoob thinks the DR-60D is the better option.

I am seriously looking at selling my DR-40 and picking up a $249 DR-60. If I do, I'll let you know whether the gain control is smooth or stepped.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 8, 2013 at 10:12:26 pm

Mixpre-d has a lot more features than mentioned. You can change the output levels to mike level/line level or AES digital. You can use a return cable from the camera's headphone out and switch between the mixer and camera for monitoring while your headphones are plugged into the mix pre-d with quality headphone amp. It's LED meters are very good. It has a quality limiter both input and output, much better than the camera. It provides phantom power. It will also interface with a computer for voice overs via usb. It has high pass filters. Each of the two channels can be L-C-R. It can be controlled away from cam by an audio tech as mentioned. It uses double A batteries which last a long time and are easy to load and unload. The build quality is top notch. It has tone out for calibration. Etc. Whole different class of product. You get what you pay for. Do your really want to use the camera's meters and limiter?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]