FORUMS: list search recent posts

SSD Field Recorders and the 5DMKIII 4K and RAW

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Omar Magdi
SSD Field Recorders and the 5DMKIII 4K and RAW
on Oct 28, 2013 at 11:52:55 am

Has anybody ever wondered why not one field recorder has 4K and Raw abilities or at least one of them, and I prefer 4K with prores, while they all store data on SSD's which are pretty darn fast and data storage and quality will have no issues since there are 1TB SSD's nowadays and you wont have to sell a kidney to get one, Samsung sells it's evo 1TB for 600USD give or take!

It's driving me crazy! not everyone can afford a red or so!!

and honestly that will have huge benefits, because the sensor won't have to crop much, which will cause less Aliasing and so on..
The field recorder industry needs to step it up, and they need to do something for 5D users and so, because all we have is HDMI on the 5DMKIII which I own SDI won't work, and It should be affordable too, the Samurai blade from atomOS is for around 1,300USD, if any company was able to make a 4K/RAW recorder which is compact too, and it got up to somewhere around 1,500-1,700USD or even 2,000USD filmmakers and DSLR shooters will go crazy over such product!

What do you think? and why do you think the companies are not moving towards such innovations?

Omar Magdi.
Cairo, Egypt.
Freelance Documentary Filmmaker/Photographer.
OMARMAGDI@GMAIL.COM
+20 1023354466

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: SSD Field Recorders and the 5DMKIII 4K and RAW
on Oct 29, 2013 at 12:43:14 pm

[Omar Magdi] "
What do you think? and why do you think the companies are not moving towards such innovations?"

Possibly because it's not as easy as you think it is?

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: SSD Field Recorders and the 5DMKIII 4K and RAW
on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:50:51 pm

[Omar Magdi] "Has anybody ever wondered why not one field recorder has 4K and Raw abilities"

Actually, I can think of two recorders that can do this, but you have to be prepared to pay $4,000+ for these recorders. Price should not be a big deal, as professional 4K cameras also cost quite a bit. ( The Sony FS700 with the 4K upgrade is one of the cheaper cameras )

Convergent Design Odyssey7Q RAW Monitor & Recorder

Which requires Convergent Design certified SSD drives and some CODEC upgrades to record both RAW and compressed 4K video.

Sony AXS-R5 Recorder

This requires a Sony 4K camera, like the FS-700 camera with the 4K upgrade, or the Sony F5 camera, or the Sony F55 camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]