FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting from helicopter with an DSLR

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lykkelige Larsen
Shooting from helicopter with an DSLR
on Oct 26, 2013 at 7:50:35 pm

I see there is need to update the discussion about how arial shots from helicopters can be done using DSLR's.

In my case I will either be using a 7d or a 5d and as I'm mostly working on low budgets renting gyro equipment is not an option.

So what I would like to know is what experience there is out there on shooting using shoulde-rigs or i.e an Glidecam for jobs like this. I will be filming a rather wide area, flying up a valley and over a lake, what lenses and settings are recommendable?

Would be happy to get see some videos shot on 5d's/7d's and how stable (or unstable) that became.

Return to posts index

Bill Willins
Re: Shooting from helicopter with an DSLR
on Oct 27, 2013 at 5:05:33 am

Few things I've learned shooting video from helicopter without gyro. It's damn hard. Shoot as wide as possible, rig something like a bean bag to rest camera on. And hope your on a smooth flying chopper .... Some helis are smooth, others bounce round like tanks. Not much you can do about this. Good luck. BW

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 27, 2013 at 12:40:25 pm

There is a small gyro, stands on the floor on a stick, real cheap to rent, will make your footage much better. Do it right.

Chris

Return to posts index

Lykkelige Larsen
on Oct 28, 2013 at 10:48:39 am

Ok, does this small gyro have specific name/come from a specific manufacturer? Would like to get one but not sure if Oslo will have to much to offer of equipment before Wednesday.

I found this one though, appears to be a good solution for a fair price:

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
on Oct 30, 2013 at 6:07:08 pm

My suggestions, some you can control and some you can't:

-Find out what kind of helicopter you will be flying in, this will give you a clue as to the job you have ahead of you. Two blade versus four blade makes a world of difference. It will also give you an idea of the power the helicopter has. Could help in how far the pilot will push.

-Are you shooting with door off? (assuming this is something like a JetRanger or LongRanger. Destabilizes the helicopter more but gives clear shot. Also burns more fuel.

-Get to know your pilot. Does he have experience flying for aerial shots? Let him know that you may ask but for specific shots but safety is the #1 and it is his call.

-Pre-plan your shoot with the pilot, before you take off. It gets harder to communicate in the air.

-Secure everything, especially if you fly with the door off. It's not just for loosing a piece of gear, you don't want a small piece of equipment flying out and into the tail rotor. This would be bad.

-Shoot with a IS lens. Anything else will be unusable.

-shoot with a monitor and be prepared to get nauseous. Happens to the best of us. Just get your bearings once in a while and you will be fine.

-The horizon is your friend. It's equal to the level on your tripod.

-The unit that you researched is great. Anything like that would help.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes a bit, not sure of your experience with aerials.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Nov 16, 2013 at 5:46:20 pm
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on Nov 16, 2013 at 5:47:15 pm

Great ideas all. I know you say you don't have the budget for this, but here's an idea worth having on the thread for future use.

I did some shooting in the last two years with a pilot who is a super still photographer and has a great setup for shooting out his plane (not the best for video). But he uses a Kenyon stabilizer. I found it works pretty well. Not perfect, but good for the price. It shows the kit for it at $2k, but maybe there is a pro shop in some nearby major city that rents them and can overnight the kit to you.

I used the KS-4 with both a 5DMkiii and a Canon XF305. I think that I also learned to shoot at as high a frame rate as possible. Many of my early attempts were not sharp at 24 or even 30FPS. Better of course with the 5D at 30FPS than the 305.

http://www.ken-lab.com/

Al

Return to posts index

Lykkelige Larsen
on Dec 10, 2013 at 9:42:10 am

The solution I landed on in the end was using the Kenyon Gyro Stabilizers on a simple shoulder rig, two of them, one for each axis. And I find it brought a lot, I had almost no visible vibrations from the helicopter. But still I had very unstable material, the Gyro's are not enough for taking away that, then I think a Movi, Ghost or similar rig could be recommendable, without having tried it. What saved me was the Adobe Premiere Stabilizer, even if I had to crop a lot on some clips it gave me a totally different movie.

Lens was a Sigma 35mm on the 7d, but I often I wished I could go a bit closer without having to ask the pilot. In general I noticed that the closer I was to the ground the better the shots got since the movement is more visible, of course depending on what you are looking for.

And wear gloves, I forgot and at some point couldn't feel my fingers anymore...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]