FORUMS: list search recent posts

Marking Clips In-Field

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Hath
Marking Clips In-Field
on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:05:59 pm

Hi All,

I'm regularly shooting small 6-8 minute reels on 5Ds or C300s with minimal crew and I'm struggling with what I think is a major redundancy in my production work-flow process for any project containing a significant amount of interviews.

In effect, when conducting an interview, I know an incredible bite (that will almost assuredly be used in a final cut/draft) when I hear it - as it's being said. But when I later ingest footage and enter into edit prep - I find myself spending a significant amount of time (2-5 days) marking my footage (good, better, best) to ultimately locate 90% of those exact same bites.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to have roughly 4 types of markers that I could apply to my footage in field as it's happening. Like an app or device with 4ish different buttons that could be quietly pressed without detracting from the flow of the interview itself. So that the moment or soon after the footage has been ingested, those markers pointing out where the good, better, and best bites already lie on my timeline.

How to make this possible - I'm not sure. If I had an extra hand to mark timecode by hand, I would. But being a 2-3 man band makes this difficult without interrupting the flow of an interview.

My best guess is finding an app or device that has some sort of function which can be jam synced with the camera via time of day. Then exporting that marked time code to add as a marked track in FCP or Avid. Other suggestions I've found so far are possibly incorporating Atamos Samurai Blade, setting up remote controlled lights in the background to have a visual indicator in post (not ideal), or having audio tap bars and tone (definitely not ideal).

Does anyone know of any practical or easy way to accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Ronald Borden
Re: Marking Clips In-Field
on Oct 28, 2013 at 9:37:50 pm

Brent,

Learned about this http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/Lumberjack/ at the wonderful Southeast Creative Summit this past weekend. LumberJack is in beta testing right now, but when it comes online it's going to be the answer to my field logging issues.

Ron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]