FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D Mark ii -- HDMI > AJA IoHD > Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
August Miller
5D Mark ii -- HDMI > AJA IoHD > Final Cut Pro
on Dec 17, 2009 at 11:30:35 pm

The Canon 5D Mark II stores its video in the H.264 codec, which, although it looks awesome, is not ideal for editing. So a thought struck me...

I had the idea of using the camera's HDMI port to send an uncompressed video stream out to an AJA Io Box to transcode to ProRes 422 for immediate capture into Final Cut Pro via Firewire. The idea sounded awesome. Then I tried it.

And FCP won't recognize video stream. By changing through all the different capture settings, I am sometimes able to pick up distorted images in the capture window, but nothing looks good, and most of the time nothing shows up at all.

Question time.

1.) Am I correct in assuming that the Mark II delivers uncompressed video out through HDMI?

2.) At what resolution is the HDMI video stream? I believe I read that the camera detects the resolution of the connected display to determine the resolution of the video stream, but how does that work with the IoHD?

3.) Any other thoughts on this workflow?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Arthur Aldrich
Re: 5D Mark ii -- HDMI > AJA IoHD > Final Cut Pro
on Dec 18, 2009 at 4:33:52 am

[August Miller] "1.) Am I correct in assuming that the Mark II delivers uncompressed video out through HDMI? "

That is not really true. The live video output is not 1920x1080 video. You can get a picture out, but it is at best 1320 x 700. Not a video friendly hd output.

If you are talking about playback, then yes 1080i video plays out.

-
Art Aldrich
OTEK TV
Leader, NJFCPUG
http://www.njfcpug.org
http://www.otek.tv

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 19, 2009 at 7:51:25 am

It's actually worse than that.

The "live view" video sent out the HDMI cable during 5dMkii recording is SEVERELY bandwidth and raster size limited. This is because the stock camera can't write to CF and export full raster at the same time.

There's been some talk of Tramm Hudson hacking the camera firmware to enable this - but as far as I know, it's not been done yet.

The correct workflow is to take the Canon's clips and transcode them to ProRes 422 inside either Compressor or directly as Quicktime Pro Export from within the FCP timeline.

Editing 5dMkii native files in FCP is possible if you have very ROBUST hardware setup - , but it's NOT currently efficient.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

alan mahon
on Mar 11, 2010 at 2:38:36 pm

August Miller has suggested a very interesting idea - taking the feed through HDMI to AJA box and sending Prores 422 directly into FCP, therefore avoiding h.264.

I have been consideringexactly the same thing, and made a simple test: I filmed a scene on the 5d, then, with HDMI linked to an external monitor, watched the filmed footage and the live feed and compared them visually. The live footage was clearly superior - bit depth seemed much higher, gradations more smoothly dithered, and banding substantially reduced. It all looked positive.

Then I read Arthur Aldrich's post saying that the HDMI feed is 1320 x 700, not 1920 x 1080 , which was disappointing. Can I ask where this figure comes from? is it during filming? I am working on the assumption that for this method to work, we would not press the record button at all.

Of course the simplest solution is that Canon offer us a choice of Codecs....

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 12, 2010 at 2:21:42 am

Yeah you don't want to bother with the 5D's HDMI output- it's much lower resolution than the recorded signal. Total catch-22- you either get the 1080p resolution with H.264 or without and lowered res.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Tim deckers
on Nov 17, 2010 at 8:46:18 am

HI,

I had the same idea, capturing the EOS 5DMKII HDMI Output through mi IO HD, but the first try was not successfull. Did you get your system running?
Somewhere i read, that during live view and NOT recording the hdmi output was full HD, so I guess somehow it mst be possible to capture that signal.
There might be another problem: The IO HD supports only 1080i30, but the EOS delivers 1080/30. Maybe the IO HD does not understand that incoming format.

Maybe it becomes neccessary to buy a AJA min Converter HDMI to SDI?

Hopefully you have a solution.

Thanks

Tim

p.s.

I am wondering, why there is only you and me who had this idea, or did you find anyone else in the world wide web, who has this problem?

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
on Dec 1, 2011 at 2:37:47 pm

i think with magic lantern your able to output full HD, but everyone here says it is still not a clean 4:2:2 output

im also interested in a 5Dmkii and ninja, to record with its large sensor

in fact any large sensor hdmi equipped camera will do with the ninja

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]