FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue with a SDHC card...Content not seen on computer but seen in PB with camera!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Issue with a SDHC card...Content not seen on computer but seen in PB with camera!
on Oct 6, 2013 at 3:01:13 am

I have a friend that is having an issue with a SDHC card he used with his camera on a recent shoot. Now I will say he did NOT use a DSLR camera but since most DSLR's need SD or Compact Flash cards, I figured I would ask the question in this forum.

Okay this has me stumped so I wanted to see what you all thought. He says he can play back his footage in the camera and everything is fine. When he puts the SD card in his Macbook Pro, he says he is not getting the video content on the cards. He is only getting audio files that are showing up! He said he clearly sees the footage in the camera in playback mode but not when the card is in the computer.

The only thing I can think of is the card was not formatted before his shoot and might have some corrupted clips on that card but that doesn't really explain why he can watch the clips back on his camera but not on the computer.

What are your thoughts?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Issue with a SDHC card...Content not seen on computer but seen in PB with camera!
on Oct 6, 2013 at 3:34:45 pm

Simple
His mac doesn't have the required codecs for the video portion installed His camera probably came with a disc containing the necessary codec

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Issue with a SDHC card...Content not seen on computer but seen in PB with camera!
on Oct 6, 2013 at 4:58:59 pm

If the card were corrupt or not reading correctly, it wouldn't be so selective (ie: ONLY the video files disappeared) about what's there and what wasn't.

Many (HD) consumer camcorders record AVCHD which is basically BluRay format. You may have to "rip" or log/transfer the files. Your friend should check with the manufacturer to determine how to transfer the files or download the manual. In the past, I've had to log and transfer from consumer camcorders while others required a proprietary app. To check, look for the really big folder (as in loaded with data) on the card with Windows Explorer (win) or Finder (mac).

I'm making a guess that it's a consumer camcorder here, of course, but if it is AVCHD, look for a BRMV folder which will have the video clips. There may be some needed additional files in there, too. More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

Barring that, what's your friend's camcorder's make and model? I've had the worst issues with JVC and a couple others, but that doesn't mean its the issue here. Also, some professional camcorders can record across multiple cards and/or internal memory so you may need additional files.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Oct 7, 2013 at 1:04:29 am

Jonathan,

He said it is a JVC GY-HD200. It could have something to do with the codecs. He might not have the correct codecs to read the files from the card. He's either using FCP or iMovie, I need to find out which one he is using.

Return to posts index

Jon Hwan
on Oct 10, 2013 at 11:29:58 am

Were you guys at Mondulkiri?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Oct 10, 2013 at 2:30:06 pm

Well, I had initially thought it was an issue with a consumer camera, but that camera isn't usually so problematic and its a pro-level camera. I'm thinking your friend should contact the manufacturer - it's too difficult to work second-hand from maybes and might-bes in this situation. A more direct approach will be required. Install whatever needs installing, first, though.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]