FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scaling vs "upres"

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Kay
Scaling vs "upres"
on Oct 3, 2013 at 3:02:26 pm

Ok I have been googling and can't get a straight answer to what seems to be a simple question.

From what I understand, "upres-ing" footage say from SD to HD is a process of making it fit properly, and maybe some calculations necessary to achieve it due to aspect ratio difference, and for that programs like Instant HD have a good rep.

But I shoot on a 7D in 1080p. And I shoot slow motion obviously in 720p. I have always just dropped it in my timeline and effectively just scaled the footage up to fit and dealt with whatever quality loss results.

Is there a different magical process of upres I should be following, or is it a fancy word for scaling when dealing with the same aspect ratio? If I used something like Instant HD or Resizer, am I just having a program scale it up for me (which is silly)?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Scaling vs "upres"
on Oct 3, 2013 at 5:35:46 pm

Since this is an older product it's been harder researching this for you but I can say most of these tools use software algorithms to try and create "new data" based upon the data in the video file it is working on, so it's not just scaling up.

This is from the original press release on resizer from 2006:

"ReSizer 2.0 has three algorithms for scaling, which gives users flexibility in finding the right method for specific footage. Users also have control over how much these algorithms sharpen or smooth the footage, allowing them to further tailor the options. ReSizer produces extraordinary results whether footage is being up-converted from SD to HD or zoomed in 800%, because of the multiple methods available to accurately increase the resolution of the original image. "

I would research newer products because stuff like this moves quickly so I am sure the algorithms have improved greatly in the meantime but you get the general idea

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Bobby Kay
on Oct 3, 2013 at 5:45:14 pm

Ok so it is actually making calculations to improve the image not just scaling? That's awesome!

I just used that software as an example of what I had read about. Please if anyone knows what is being used now and yields the best results for getting the 720 up to 1080 for Pro Res footage shot on a 7D, I'd be very grateful!

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
on Jul 29, 2014 at 3:46:09 am

bump

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]