FORUMS: list search recent posts

Car commercials: How to record sound while the subject car is moving and/or passing by?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denes `Dobai
Car commercials: How to record sound while the subject car is moving and/or passing by?
on Sep 28, 2013 at 11:59:35 am

We are shooting a video about a car.We have GoPro -s/DSLR-s and want to make some footage and field rec. while the subject car passing by the others.
We do not want to put any music in the video only ambient/field recordings to make the video more realistic.
The questions are:
How to record the audio while the car is moving?
Mic placement?
Does make sense to record the audio after filming in this case?
Any links?

Few weeks before while I was making some testing I was able to replace the audio what I recorded separately on different day.. and the result was perfect.But then I was recording on the sidewalks not on/in the car...

I have minimal setup: Olympus LS-100
Mics: MM-BMS9 , AT- ATR25 stereo mic, 2xJrf Contact mics ,

I'm gonna try everything anyway but maybe You guys can give me some advice.
Thank You in advance.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Car commercials: How to record sound while the subject car is moving and/or passing by?
on Sep 28, 2013 at 6:09:45 pm

Well my basic thought is that if you consider the camera as a person observing the scene then you would want the sound to match what the person/camera is actually seeing - that would be the most realistic.

So my first thought is why not simply record the sound of the car from the camera position with a shotgun mic or some kind of field recorder?

The only issue I can see if that you will also get any other ambient sounds that may happen at the same time, a crew member coughing, a car alarm going off in the background, helicopters flying by etc.

In that case you would want to either keep recording until you get a perfect sound take, come back another day just to record the audio of the car passing by (yes, I'd have the same car drive by at the same speed, in the same direction etc etc etc) or you could try substituting a different sound file entirely but it may not match perfectly depending upon how well the road and sound conditions found in the replacement audio file match those of the day you film.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Omar Magdi
Re: Car commercials: How to record sound while the subject car is moving and/or passing by?
on Sep 28, 2013 at 10:36:55 pm

I would think of two things to do.
Either SYNC audio that is recorded later or stuff that are Stock of car audio.
or I would get a good wireless recorder, a Good shotgun with a shockmount, and place it in a sweet spot where i can hear the engine clear, maybe somewhere under the bonnet, I though of the shockmount to reduce vibration from the engine and car movement, but I am not sure if it will totally work.
so it's favored to me to record audio later and sync it.

Omar Magdi.
Cairo, Egypt.
Freelance Documentary Filmmaker/Photographer.
OMARMAGDI@GMAIL.COM
+20 1023354466

Return to posts index

Pablo Aura
on Nov 1, 2013 at 4:21:32 am

I will go for the story you are telling, audio tells much more than image in some situations. As you don't have any lip-sync problems, you have the luxury of taking the sound from anywhere. Is it a sportscar?, a family sedan?, an adventurous SUV?, all must sound different in a subjective manner. Get the sound from a soundbank, from another car, mix different sounds, use effects to enhance the experience, you can get very creative here and it doesn't need to lose the realistic aspect of your piece.

Return to posts index

Denes `Dobai
on Nov 6, 2013 at 11:52:45 pm

Yeah...well,thank you for this...
It was a BMW 520d as prolusion.
AND it will be (hopefully...) a Jaguar XFR or XF R Sport.
I was thinking about soundbanks... And I have lots of soundbanks but different kind, can you recommend any brand or specific soundbank or stock site(s) please?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]