FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH3 - from camcorder to DSLR - advice

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gilles Gagnon
GH3 - from camcorder to DSLR - advice
on Sep 26, 2013 at 2:18:56 am

Hi everyone,
I've been shooting with a camcorder (Panny HMC-150) for some time and just purchased a GH3. I'm finding a steep learning curve going to DSRL from the world of camcorder.

Can anyone give advice as to some learning resources to help me cross the bridge please?

Thanks!
G

Gilles

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: GH3 - from camcorder to DSLR - advice
on Sep 28, 2013 at 11:44:36 am

Hi Gilles - here is a good piece from camcorder shooter Philip Johnston on shooting with the GH3:

http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2013/09/24/why-i-used-the-lumix-gh3-for-ibc/

Personally, I avoid dual system sound. If you have a battery powered pro mic with XLR out, all you need is a $17 Hosa MIT-156 line matching transformer/adapter and you can plug a high quality mic straight into the camera. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the sound quality you can get from the GH3's preamps.

Here is my Audio Technica AT835b plugged directly into the GH3 via the Hosa:

You can also avoid the focus challenges that Philip describes if you use a parfocal power zoom lens such as the Panasonic PZ 14-42 and 45-175.

Are there other challenges you're struggling with?

Good luck,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Sep 30, 2013 at 1:02:37 am

Hi Bill,
Thanks a million for the fantastic resources!
I'm just about to read the Johnston article.
For sound, I was going to purchase a Rode video mic pro but after your tip, since I have a Rode NTG-2, I may just purchase the adapter and use this. As long as it doesn't stick out too far and creep into the top of the frame.

Would this approach be feasible?

The main chalenge is that I'm used to shooting with a camcorder where I don't really have to worry about such aspects as follow focus, ISO, aperture, depth of field. SuddenlyI have much more control but also not sure how practical shooting is different with a GH3 than with a camcorder (Panny HMC-150).

I acquired quite a few DSRL/video books to start me off. Still somewhat overwhelming.

By the way, I have the 12-35 lens.
G

Gilles

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Sep 30, 2013 at 3:04:59 am

Hi Gilles - mounting the Rode on the camera should be OK. Your 10.94" long NTG-2 is about 3.5" shorter than the 14.53" long Audio Technica AT-835b pictured above.

The GH3 does a pretty good job of mimicking a camcorder if you set the autofocus to AFC and the exposure to iA. With a pistol grip plugged into the remote socket, all you have to do is hold the EVF up to your eye and pull the trigger.

You only have to fool around with manual focus, ISO, aperture and depth of field of you want to.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Sep 30, 2013 at 1:19:11 pm

Thanks a lot Bill.
I'll definitely try this suggestion today. I'll have to wait to try the mic as I need to purchase the adapter cable.

Q1. Do I need a pistol grip? or can I mount it on top of the GH3 using this shockmount that I have:? :
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/rode_ntsm3

Q2. Would I get good sound for an interview using the ntg-2 mic mounted on the camera as you suggested?

Thanks again Bill,
Gilles

Gilles

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Oct 1, 2013 at 10:11:33 am

Gilles - to answer your questions:

Q1: yes, your shock mount should work. It is highly rated at Amazon UK and seems to be close in form and function to the Campro Deluxe that I use

Q2: you should get good sound if you are within a meter of your subject and minimize the potential for handling noise by putting the camera on a tripod. Otherwise you may need to put the mic on a pistol grip or boom.

Again, hope this helps,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Oct 1, 2013 at 11:34:04 am

OK.
Thanks Bill. I'll purchase the cable adapter and give it a whirl.
Thanks again,

Gilles

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Oct 16, 2013 at 3:13:29 pm

Hi again Bill,
I really like your suggestion of iA with autofucus on AFC.
Problem is that I don't want the exposure to be automated.

Is it possible to disable the Autoexposure (aperture?) when in iA mode?
Cheers,
G

Gilles

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Oct 18, 2013 at 5:44:58 pm

Hi Gilles - autofocus and exposure control are completely separate with the GH3.

You can use any autofocus mode (Manual, AFS or AFC) in combination with any exposure control mode (iA,P,A,S or M).

Hope that makes sense and is helpful.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Oct 18, 2013 at 7:45:09 pm

Thanks Bill,
but can I adjust the exposure in iA mode?

Gilles

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Oct 20, 2013 at 1:21:44 am

my last question should have read.. how can I change exposure in iA mode if iA mode automatically controls the exposure?

Gilles

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:04:18 pm

Does anyone know the answer to the above?
Cheers,
G

Gilles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]